Help from a pediatrician/MD?

My preschooler ate Clomid (Clomiphene Citrate)! He put one 50 mg pill into his mouth, spit it out, and took a wet towel to wipe his mouth out. Yes, it was over an hour ago, so inducing vomiting is not an option. Normally, I'd call posion control, but realistically, it was not an overdose because there was only one pill missing and he told me exactly what he did after he "ate" it. (The pills come in individually wrapped packaging, so it was obvious only one was gone.) I proceeded to chew one as well, verses swallowing it (yes, it's my prescription!) and it's so intensely bitter that I nearly threw up, so I KNOW he spit it out and the towel has white pill residue on it. However, he may have injested whatever was absorbed onto his tongue and mixed with his saliva while in the process of wiping his tonge off and spiting the pill out.
From my research, it says Clomid is used in males to induce testosterone production; so, assuming that's the physiological response that is going to occur from the small amount he injested, what am I to expect for behavior as a result?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I agree, you can call poison control and see what they say. Even though he didn't swallow or anything, they may be able to just give you piece of mind!
Helpful - 0
I can't imagine he swallowed anything if they are that bitter, and if he wiped his mouth out.  Maybe, as you say, a little bit of residue.  The person I would call for advice is the doctor who prescribed you the Clomid.  He or she should have complete access to any information out there about side effects from a child putting Clomid in his mouth.
Helpful - 0
call poison control. Anytime you are unsure of something like this, call. Immediately.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health: Postpartum Community

STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.