Help get 4 month old into crib

My son is four months and we have been co-sleeping.  My DH and I are determined to get him into his own crib.  I usually have to nurse him to sleep and he dislikes sleeping alone.  Not to mention that he has some colic, but I do think if he gets more sleep that will help with the colic.  To make a long story short, there are a number of obstacles for my family but we want to make this work.  How can we transition my son into his own crib?  Any tips would be greatly appreciated.  (We will work really hard at this starting during our Thanksgiving break because we anticipate being exhausted from the experience.)      
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I agree with the above poster - go into her room when she wakes up without picking her up.  I just had to do this transition but my daughter was in a cradle/then pack n play in our room for 5 months.  She was never in bed with us so I guess that made it easier.  At first I slept on the floor in her room and everytime she woke up I just patted her butt and put her on her side - she would go right back to sleep.

Now she is sick so she is back with us - however the sleeping in her own room was working up until this point.  Now I even put her in our bed if she wakes up more then three times.  This is because she is bigger and pulls herself up and looks at me.

Good Luck.
Helpful - 0
First of all, Get her used to the crub at nap time. At night when she gets upset you can go in there and soothe her without picking her up. You can rub her back and sing to her. I have 3 children and they all become excellent sleepers becasue I did this. They have to know there bed is a fun and safe place to be. Besides, when she gets used to it and enjoys it, you can have alone time with your hubby. You have to remember that you have to save time for your marriage. Happy mom and dad make for better parents!! Good luck and remember it is hard to transiton, but if you remain calm and patient it will all work out!! It is much better to get your kids on good sleeping! Good Luck
Helpful - 0
There are a few books that acn help you to do it without having the baby cry it out.  It's a preference and I am not kocking anyone who does allow their child to cry it out but I could not.  My DD is 15 months and just recently started sleeping on her own without me as I am still breastfeeding but she began to roll on top of me and stifle MY breathing so it was time for us as well.
Check out "The No Cry SLeep Solution" by ELizabeth Pantley or anything by Dr,. Sears as far as switching them over.  You can even google Dr. Sears and ask questions there.
Again, crying it out was NOT for me as I didn't believe I should jsut throw her into a crib when she's known nothing but the bed next to me without her being able to understand it because I personally feel that my parenting doesn't stop at night and that ther ehas GOT to be a better way but some women would and will disagree I'm sure.
ALl I can say is do what's best for you and your faily .

Helpful - 0
Hi. I just recently had to put my 6 month old into her crib.  We were also co-sleeping because she had acid reflux during her first 3 months, after that, I was to lazy to put her back into her crib. Not only that, I loved having her inches away from me.  Anyway, at around 5 months or so, she started to roll all over the place.  She was situated, on a pillow above me, so I never rolled on her. Well, she started to roll on me..lol So it was time. I started to put her in her cribs during her naps.  So she would get use to it. Then I just did it cold turkey. She doesnt sleep half as well as what she did when she was next to me. She crys and complains every few hours so I get up and put her on her side and give her a binky.  But other than that, she's ok.  You just have to get use to that.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health: Postpartum Community

STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.