Women's Health: Postpartum Community

How long do you bleed after miscarriage? Help please!

Feel free to use this as an open forum also.  I started miscarrying Sunday night at 5 weeks.  HCG was dropping per labs and i bled fairly heavy with some bigger episodes until yesterday and it just stopped completely.  Is this normal? I still have a slight pain on my right side still.  I got blood drawn yesterday but don't know how low my hcg was yet..I just didn't think i'd only bleed for three days?? Can anyone please tell me if this happened to them?
I'm so sorry Kellie... I had a D&C when I miscarried.  I only bled for a few days but I guess that was why.  I wish I could help you.. I will pray for your healing emotionally and physically.  Robin
Robin, thank you - I had d&c's the last two times too.  This is new to me - just seems awful quick to be done bleeding but maybe i was just so early..thanks for your thoughts and prayers..it means a lot! Have a wonderful Christmas =)
I am so sorry too. I had a d&c, so can't offer anything other than my thoughts to you. It stinks so much!!
Hey girl, only one of my m/c was that early along in the pregnancy. I did some thinking back (way back in my memory banks to Jan 96) and think I bled similar to a period, about 5-6 days. By similar, I mean in length only, it was heavy and painful, but lasted a much shorter time than the other two I had at home.

Definitely look at the numbers. I know they were pretty low at the beginning of the m/c, so it is definitely possible that the m/c is complete already.

Again, my heart is with you and Ben and your boys. I hope even through this difficult time that you are able to enjoy the closeness of the holidays.

Andrea
I'm so sorry that you are going through this during the holidays.  But I m/c'd in May at 6 weeks and I bled for a total of 4 days, then in 28 days I got AF. Hope this helps

Hi Kellie -

My first m/c was at about 5 weeks, but that was an ectopic they think resolved on its own.  I was not "normal" by any stretch, but I bled for about 3 weeks.  I sure hope the bleeding is over for you.  If you're concerned, you could ask for an ultrasound to make sure all of the tissue has passed.  Good luck to you.  *hugs*
Thanks to everyone who answered...it means a lot.  I finally got my numbers back and my hcg is down to 14.  I will go again on Monday and hopefully it will be down.  I did start bleeding again too =(.  I just feel like sleeping through this whole holiday.  I feel like all i've done this last month is hope for the best and expect the worst...i'm just tired.  Thanks for your support, prayers, answers and just being there for me! I appreciate it!!!!!!!
I'm so sorry to hear about this.  My thoughts and prayers are with you, and I hope you begin healing soon.  

Take care.
I feel so bad for you. Are you going to go for fertility work? This has to be hard. I know how that is. It has to be especially hard on the holidays! :( I wish you luck and I hope that you have better luck soon ;)
Thank you guys! The thoughts and encouraging words help more than anything...

Christina i'm going to go for a full fertility workup and i'm going to go to a R.E and at least see what they can figure out.  I don't know at this point if I will try again or not..but I at least want to know what i'm dealing with...hope you are feelin well! =)
I'm going through the same thing, I know exactly how you are feeling, I just had a m/c yesterday and I was early (6-7 weeks)  The doctor told me it would probably be like a heavy period and painful at times. I'm still passing part of the tissue. It is a horrible feeling,  this was my first pregnancy. I just put it in Gods hands for he knows best. I will keep you in my prayers.
I'm SO sorry to hear you're going through this too.  Is this your first pregnancy or do you have other kids? thank you for your kind sweet words, i'll be thinking & praying for you too =(
yes this was my first pregnancy, I don't have other kids. But me and my husband are going to try again as soon as all this is over with.  The doctor did tell me yesterday that it was just a bad pregnancy, there was nothing genetically that caused it...PRAISE GOD!! How about you, is this your first or do you have other kids?
I do have three children (all boys) and my youngest is 3...I really wanted 4..now i'm even actually considering adoption...i've had three losses strait in a row...two miscarriages and one ectopic..I will be thinking of you..and praying for you...(i'm 35 so I feel like i'm getting too old you know?) Thanks so much for encouraging me..your brightness shows in your post...thank you! =)
I miscarried this Sept. and it was very hard on me,this website helped alot,it answered alot of questions and fears i had,i had alot of help from family and friends but i know sometimes that isn't enough,so if ANYONE out there needs someone to talk to i would love to talk with anyone that needs it, e-mail me at Ozzy_lover_20***@**** i hope anyone out there that just needs someone to talk to feels free to e-mail me. Thank you
I guess that didn't want to give my e-mail out but it's Yahoo and .com ^^^...lol..Thanks again.
Ive never left comments on sites before.....but I was drawn to this one....I had a miscarriage about four days ago...and Im still bleeding and still have some pain. I had so many questions and was left feeling so empty. This was my first experience in this terrible loss. I never really thought that it would happen to me......more than that I never really understood what emotions that a woman goes through. I was between five and six weeks and I felt so attached to the growing baby. My husband and I really wanted this child. Ive gone through all kinds of emotions in the last four days. I know God has my life and I want him to be in control...thats for sure. I know in time we will try again.....I just need to get through this first.
I can soooo relate to you right now.  I am so sorry for your loss.  I, too am miscarrying as we speak.  Unfortunately, this is my second mc.  The emotions are crazy...  This would have been our 2nd child.  Believe it or not, there is good news here for you;  Being that you are still bleeding after 4 days is a good thing.  If you pass it on your own, without the aid of a D/C,  the sooner you can try again.  Plus, you won't need surgery.  My mc started on Monday this past week, and by Wed I was no longer bleeding.  Unbeknownst to me, I thought this was good, until I saw my dr on Thurs who told me the sac is still in there, and unless I expel (ew) it on my own this week, it's another D/C for me. :(  I wish you all the best, and make sure you have a sonogram/ultrasound to make sure you had a 'complete mc' and there is no tissue or anything left behind.  Best of luck to you, and your hubby.  Feel better soon.
Thankyou for your comment....I too am sorry to hear you are going through this as well. This is just a very hard thing to go through...and I am terribly emaberrest and emotional to go to the doctors...but I probably should just to make sure I am cleared. Im sorry that you had a D/C...that can' t be fun. I really hope you won't need one this time either, I hope you recover well. I also wish you the best of luck with having a family. I pray that you won't have to suffer this loss again. It sure does help to know that there are other women who understand.  Take care!
I too can realate and am going through a miscarriage as well as we speak. i was 5 -6 weeks and was so excited for our 3rd child but then the spotting began and then heavy bleeding so sure enough a m/c i was having. I was a lil scarred when on a sunday after starting to bleed on wed i was still bleeding but i guess this is good thing since this means i am passing it on my own only i have to wonder if back pain and cramping is normal with this m/c doctor forgot to inform me on what might happen so has anyone else had this pain assosiated with a m/c.sorry for your loss as well.
When I miscarried, I only bled for a few days.. and then a few days later I started bleeding again, and it went on into my period..  then I had a realllly heavy period (Boy did that suck). and after my regular 5-6 day period everything was back to normal. But what was weird was, that one day my Hcg level was a 4 and she said it was below 5 so everything happened naturally, then like the next day is when I started bleeding again, so I thought that was weird. But I've had a checkup since, and they didn't say anything more about a D & C. So I'm sure everything is fine. Women miscarry different.
total understand I went throw a miscarriage 2 months ago and they were a long... two months. I was 12 weeks pregnant and just about out of the scariest time but unfortionally The baby didn't make it, I am so sorry for your loss. it is a log recovery process and really frustrating I find my life revolving around reasurching everything from miscarriage to pregnancy and every sign there is out there. I fill prego but i won't know for 3 more days I hope so and i hope for everyone we never have to go throw this again it is just not fair!!!
hello my names tiffany,.. im 6 weeks pregnant and not sure if im having a miscarriage or not but i bleed not very heavy for 3 days then spotted for 4 no clots or cramps.  I have to go back in 2 weeks for another ultrasound.. can comeone give me some info on what ya think... Also keep me in your prayers
my first misscarage i bled very heavy for about 4 days. i was done bleeding after about 7 days total