Aa
A
A
A
Close
Women's Health: Postpartum Community
26.1k Members
194374 tn?1214480294

How much do i express.....CLUELESS.......

Hi i had my darling son on feb 26th. Hayden Adam, 9 pound 3 52cm :) He is doing great:) I am breastfeeding but am just wondering if i was to express how much would i need to express for 1 feed? And to warm it, iv read microwave but mix well when removed, not to microwave but warm by running bottle under hot water. This is my first so im a little clueless when it come to this kind of thing:) Iv also read that it isn't entirly nessesary to warm the milk and that it just something we do and that its fine for the milk to be cold hmmmm! Any info would be great thanks
4 Responses
193609 tn?1292183893
We warmed ours by putting it in a bowl with really hot water until the milk was warm. It worked out great! I don't recommend using the microwave, at least not for a while. I never heating his milk in the microwave until he was about 6 months old and I don't do it very often.
189192 tn?1261345228
I've heard you should use warm/hot tap water to warm bottles.  I asked my dr how much to feed also and he said to pump for about 10 to 15 minutes and to feed him as much as he is willing to take.  Once he starts seeming uninterested to not force it.  

good luck
171768 tn?1324233699
i would always try to keep the milk at room temp and feed before it spoiled. in the summer it was fresh for about 5 hours. in the winter when my houses is cooler it lasted longer- up to 7 or 8 hrs during the day and 10-12 hours at night. expressed milk retains most of its beneficial compounds while it's still fresh. if you refridgerate it you can reheat it by submerging the bottle in warm water. a newborn most likely won't take it cold, but you can try. after it's reheated, swirl the bottle to mix the layers. there is research that indicates shaking breast milk breaks down some of it beneficial components.
http://www.justmommies.com/articles/breast-milk-storage.shtml has a nice chart showing storage guidelines.

as for how much to pump for a feed, in general the guidelines are to pump for 10-15 minutes. my baby generally took 2-3 ounces per feed in the first months, then 3-4 ounces per feed up til 6 months. babies take much less breast milk than formula, so don't rely on most feeding charts to tell you what to feed him.
194374 tn?1214480294
Thanks everyone this has been very helpfull:)
Popular Resources
From skin changes to weight loss to unusual bleeding, here are 15 cancer warning signs that women tend to ignore.
Here’s what you need to know about the transition into menopause – and life after the change takes place.
It’s more than just the “baby blues.“ Learn to recognize the signs of postpartum depression – and how to treat it.
Forget the fountain of youth – try flossing instead! Here are 11 surprising ways to live longer.
From STD tests to mammograms, find out which screening tests you need - and when to get them.
Find out if PRP therapy right for you.