Hydrocodone during pregnancy

I am currently 24 weeks pregnant with my 2nd child. I have been taking hydrocodone 10/325 for the last 2 months, 2-3 a day. I am worried if I am harming my unborn baby in anyway. I have read a ton of posts on this site about vicodin use during pregnancy and all say to taper down during the last trimester so the baby will not be born addicted. Also, with me taking this amount for the last 2 months, will my withdrawal symptoms be severe? I am extremely worried I have caused any sort of damage to my baby boy and I am worried about stopping and having these terrible withdrawal symptoms that I read about and those alone harming the baby. Please don't bash as if I am an addict of some sort, that isn't the case. I am just looking for honest answers from some mothers who can share their stories of vicodin use during pregnancy and give me some honest answers.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
you need to inform your dr. and he will tell you what you should do.. we are not drs
Helpful - 0
I was on pain medication when I became pregnant with my daughter.  I know how you feel, I was worried for my baby's health as well.  Even though you have only been on the medicine for 2 months, hydrocodone is very addictive and it is possible that if you stopped cold turkey now you would have withdrawls.  The doctor always told me that withdrawls were worse for the baby than the drugs.  Have you spoken with your doctor about this?  I know a few women that have taken hydrocodone throughout pregnancy.  The doctor basically decides that the benefits of the medicine for the mother outweigh the risks to the baby.  Your doctor could guide you into making the best decision, and also if you did need to taper off in the last trimester, give you a reasonable schedule for doing so.  

I went a completely different route with my baby, I had been on opiates for way longer than 2 months.  They have medicine out there to wean people off of opiates and onto basically another "opiate" but one that is not so bad.  I still take it (Subutex) and I am currently 26 weeks with daughter #2.  I wouldn't really suggest that to you because you have only been on the vicodin for 2 months, but I just wanted you to know it is an option.

Congrats on your boy and good luck!
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health: Postpartum Community

STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.