Women's Health: Postpartum Community

IUD and very light period

I have an IUD and have had it for about 1 year.  I supposedly started my period (accompanied with the usual cramping) on 5/9.  However, it is extremely light - only filling 1/2 of a regular-sized tampon per day.  This is my second IUD (the first I had for 5 years), and I have never experienced a light period.  I have always had periods lasting a minimum of 7 days, and up to 10 days some months.

I am very concerned that I may be pregnant.  I have not had any other signs of pregnancy (which I have experienced before, because I have 2 children).

I am still breastfeeding my youngest (16 months) two times per day, but have had normal periods for 8 months.  The only other thing I can think of is my exercise program, but I have been doing that consistently now for 4 months, and it has not affected me this way before.  Does eating habits have anything to do with this?  I am eating normally, but less than before (trying to cut down bit by bit).
I was desperate for bc last year and wanted the merena, but dh is very pro-life and so I got stuck with temping, and he doesn't want the big 'V' just in case later we decide we want more. It drives me crazy that every birth control chances fertilization without implantation, in the pro-lifes eyes-an abortion...everyone around me feels this way...whats a girl to do?
Honestly, it is your decision, not any one elses decision. Some would consider temping as a form of contraception, not allowing nature to takes its course by avoiding having intercourse around the time of ovulation. Truly leaving it up to your chosen god, you would have sex whenever without temping, charting, etc.

I think too much emphasis and pressure has been put on women to procreate even when they know they are done or trying to space their children a certainlength apart just because their faith says so. YOU make the decision, not anyone else. When you say "whats a girl to do?" I say take charge of your own fertility and body. But I am a liberal minded woman that refuses to let anyone tell me when I can or can't prevent pregnancy. I know what my body is capable of, I know my desires for my children, and I know that after this one I am done. I will have three beautiful children to raise, three children to put through college, three children to nurture for the rest of my life.

Everyone has their method of preventing pregnancy, but one is not more moral than the next. It is a personal decision. No one knows, not even the makers of Mirena, how it works. It may thicken the cervical mucus to prevent the sperm from even entering the uterine cavity, it may inhibit ovulation, it may thin the lining to prevent impantation, no one knows. There are 5 or more different mechanisms at work with one in place and any one of those could prevent pregnancy.

Anyway, I feel a woman needs to do what feels right for her when it comes to fertility and her body.

Andi
I had my IUD placed 8 weeka after having my youngest and went for 13 months without a period. In fact, I didn't get it back until I was in the process of weaning. When I did get it back, it was extremely light, barely spotting for 3 days every month. I had it removed in Nov and spotted a few days afterwards, but my next period was much heavier. I had a chemical pg the next full cycle, had another regular period, and then got pg with this baby.

Most women will notice their cycles get shorter and lighter, maybe it just took a little longer for yours to do the same. My advice is if you are concerned about possible pregnancy to take either a home pregnancy test or see if your doctor will perform a blood test.

Good luck,
Andi
I have been extremely satisfied with the IUD (I'll let you know if I change my mind in a few days).
I have had 2 IUD's.  The first one I had placed after my first-born was 8  months old.  For about the first 6 months, I experienced very LONG, very PAINFUL, and very HEAVY periods.  After that, they seemed to ease up a bit, and go back to normal (which has always been 7 days for me).
I had that IUD for 5 years and when we decided to get pregnant again, we had it removed (easily), and I conceived 2 months later (and had a completely normal pregnancy, labor and delivery).

I have my second IUD now (and have had it almost 1 year).  I did not experience nearly the extremeness of the side effects I had with the first one.  My periods were somewhat heavier, but not nearly as heavy as with the first IUD.

Overall, I think it has been totally worth it.  It allows freedom!!  No pills or shots - you only have to check once per month if it is still there (the string hangs into the vagina, and you can feel it with your finger).
Do you think you had no period for the first 13 months because you were breastfeeding, and it didn't have to do with the IUD at all?  Just wondering.  Because I also had the IUD and was nursing for several months before I got a period.  When I weaned her off nights, that's when I started getting my period.

I apologize for my ignorance (I am not familiar with all the abbreviations), but what is a chemical pg and a pg?

Thanks for the help.
I have to admit, I never checked mine : ) The risk for explusion or perforation is most likely during the first 30 days. I went in 30 days after it was placed and was assured all was well. If you get it, make sure the doc leaves the strings somewhat long. My understanding is that some cut them too short and that can lead to irritation of the cervix.

Andi