Women's Health: Postpartum Community

If and when do babies hold on??

I cant remember if I had asked this question before, so sorry if I have.  My ds is 8 1/2 months old and still doesnt hold on to me when I carry him.  Picture a sack of potatoes with long swinging extremities, that also like to wiggle around and cling on to everything that you pass!  My back is really killing me lately and I have had to get massage therapy and muscle relaxers (just a very small dose at night, because one side of my neck has a really bad muscle spasm which created a bunch of headaches throughout the day)!  So hopefully after I do that for a week I will be back to normal.  What age do babies start assisting in the holding process?  Even if he just held one arm behind my shoulder it would be 10x better than what is going on now.  
help you hold them?  lol never!! i hear you on the shoulder issue. addy is like a baby monkey, she grasps on to my shirt and wraps her legs but i cant say she assists in any way lol.  i need a massage in the worst way!
LOL, at least Addy holds like a monkey.  I literally do all the work for this kid.  I have to continue lifting his legs up to even hook on my hip.  He just straightens them out and then hangs to my side....then slowly starts sliding down.  It looks like I am doing the choke hold on him!  I wish, I wish I had a Monkey boy.  Maybe if I just start letting my slide down he will grab on?!!?  But I think he usually likes the ground better than to be in Mommys arms!  Maybe he is doing it on puropose, so I will just set him down......haha, I am on to his little game!
i will have to get a pic of addison doing her monkey hold haha.  just wait till they use the limp arms above their head move when you are disciplining them and they want out of your arms HAHA.  i have a sling i usually wear addison in but its too hot right now.  it seriously helps with my shoulder.  but she is a petit gal so how hard can it be haha.  my son was a moose at this age im very thankful she is tiny.  

yes put him down and he will learn. addison is biting me when nursing right now.  i stopped her from eating and told her no dont bite with a firmer voice.  she smiled and said in a deep kind of devilish voice "aaaahgooooo" haha.  
Haha, thank god I am not breastfeeding, I have a feeling Ethan would have ripped my nip off a long time ago.  As I havent mentioned in all my posts he is quite the little boy and always presses the boundaries.  He drew blood from my mom yesterday.  She reached in to feel if his top teeth were coming in...he bit right down on it!
How much does Addy weigh?  Ethan is about 20lbs now.  He is really thick boned!
addison is about 16lbs according to my scale.  she is 9.5 months and is finally wearing some 9 month clothing.  that is a long way though from leaving the hospitol at 4lbs10oz!! preemie clothing were too big.  my baby is getting big!!  she goes for her well baby next tues so ill know exactly how big she is.  i cant wait.  she had a top tooth break today, thank god its been a week from h.ell lol.
i would mention it to the ped. he may just be lazy, but it can also be a sign of low muscle tone. how is he with other benchmarks? hypotonia can be mild and barely noticable to parents. it's most likely not a cause for concern in his case, but thought i'd mention it.
I have held babies like you are describing, it is hard to hold them. Tired is right it could be low muscle tone, but could also be normal. Both my kids held on like perty's like a little monkey or koala bear. This weekend my dd was nicknamed koala because she literally holds on almost by herself. Both my kids held on well by 6-7 months and got lots of practice both never want to be put down....
Well I dont think it is low muscle mass, this boy is crazy!  He literally climbs up everything else but me....wait nevermind, he does climb up me and tries to go over me.  I think it is more that he is interested in doing other things while I am holding him.  He is about 8 1/2 months right now and I think he is right on with development.  I am not too sure what they should be doing now, but he can crawl pretty darn fast.  Just recently he can go from a crawling position, to sitting, then back to crawling.  He is also now trying to grab things with his first finger and thumb...but I guess that is more of a fine motor development.
ma2isiah:  I think you made a good point by saying they never wanted to be put down...most the time mine wants to be down and crawling around on his own!    
Yep sounds like his muscle tone is fine, he is too busy to be held and wants to explore. If you need to carry him such as out shopping etc, maybe you could use a sling or backpack carrier so it is easier to carry him.
I think I might get one of those back pack thing.  The Bjorn is way to hard now....and I think he is almost over the weight limit of it!