I'm scared

my wife was smoking pot and stealing my pain meds during her pregnancy. What are the affects this will have on the baby.  Also Can DHS really take my baby away because she was selfish I don't do drugs, never have. I do take pain meds and anxiety medicine for wounds suffered in Afghanistan. I'm really nervous.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Wow...I will pray for your child!! I am shocked that someone would do this...especailly to her own child? I get the feeling she doesn't really want to the child. Maybe this is her way of rebelling. Even so, she has a life inside her and that is NOT cool and she is doing this when so may women  would give anything to have a healthy baby...
Helpful - 0
It sounds like your wife has some major problems that need to be addressed. As for DHS, all states and all workers operate differently. If she  (your wife) agrees to a rehab and parenting classes they MIGHT not take the child away, but they will be in your lives for a very long time with home visits and such. I sure hope that your baby doesn't have any ill effects from the smoking or pills.
Helpful - 0
This was posted by another medhelp member in regards to pain medication

Lortab is a common pain medication also known as vicodin or hydrocodone, depending on the actual milligram dosage (hydrocodone is the generic form and actual narcotic name). It has been shown to be okay during pregnancy as a pain medication, but only if used in moderation. I was on it off and on during my 4pg with my son as I have a bad disk in my back and it would cause severe pain from time to time. I was also given lortab by my OB after having surgery a few months post-pardum and I was nursing exclusively at that time. As with all medication, make sure that your doctor and pharmacist know you are pg or nursing.

Andrea
Helpful - 0
This was posted by by blondie72, Feb 04, 2004 12:00AM to a similar question.

by blondie72, Feb 04, 2004 12:00AM
I found this ??? on a web site so I hope it helps.  If you can DO NOT SMOKE ANYTHING!!!!!!

This is an important question. Some research studies have shown that some women who use recreational drugs during pregnancy use marijuana, thinking that it won't harm the fetus as much as, harder, or more than other recreational drugs. Although no clear-cut deformity or syndrome is known to occur due to marijuana use during pregnancy (as there is from alcohol use, for example, with fetal alcohol syndrome), there are some possible dangers.

First of all, smoking anything during pregnancy deprives the fetus of oxygen. Just as smoking tobacco is discouraged in pregnant women, so is smoking marijuana. Smoking any type of substance interferes with the fetus's blood supply. This can mean the fetus doesn't get enough oxygen, and s/he may be born smaller in both weight and length. Smaller babies have a higher risk of other problems after birth, such as infections, severe jaundice, difficulty feeding, breathing problems, low blood sugar, difficulty regulating temperature, bleeding into the brain, and problems with vision.

Secondly, marijuana is frequently and unpredictably "cut" with other substances. So the fetus may in fact be accidentally exposed to other potentially harmful substances in the process of being exposed to marijuana.

Babies whose mothers have used marijuana during pregnancy or while breastfeeding sometimes seem jittery and difficult to comfort. They may have some delay in the development of their motor skills, although this delay does not seem to be permanent.

Since we're on the subject of substance use during pregnancy, if you already drink alcohol or smoke cigarettes, it's in your baby's (and your) best health interests to stop when you are pregnant. During the nursing period, it's commonly recommended that mothers drink only modest amounts of alcohol, delay breastfeeding for 2 - 3 hours after drinking alcohol, and avoid exposing the baby to second-hand smoke.

All in all, the healthiest choice for you and your baby is to avoid using recreational chemicals, including marijuana, while pregnant. As difficult as it may be to change one's lifestyle, taking a break from smoking cigarettes and joints, and drinking alcohol and using other drugs, can help set your baby up for a long, healthy life.

Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health: Postpartum Community

STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.