Women's Health: Postpartum Community

Is it safe to get pregnant when the last monthly depo shot was in Sept.?

My son's girlfriend had her last monthly depo shot in Sept.  She took a home pregnancy test which showed she is pregnant.  Will the baby be ok?  Are there any special tests she should ask her doctor about?
Did she take the HPT in Sept?  How far along is she?  I dont know if it will affect it, maybe she should go see an OBGYN.
just curious- what made her decide to test?

as far as the baby- all the literature says that depo can cause birth defects, but it doesn't specifically say what kind... it might just be a disclaimer- wish i had more info for you. she should just make sure she tells her doctor about the last depo shot. the doctor will have a better idea?
She should probably ask her doctor but I would have to think that if her body allowed her to get pregnant most of the medication must have been out of her system or she wouldn't have got pregnant....She just didn't start taking the depo shot and it didn't work right? She stopped taking it and got pregnant right away? I wouldn't worry too much...my girlfriend was having problems with her birth control pills so they kept switching them and she got pregnant while taking them on time every day and she had a healthy baby girl....I think as long as you stop taking the birth control once you are pregnant everything will be fine....congratulations to your son and yourself - GRANDMA!
did they change depo shots? when i was on them they were supposed to last for 3 months... just curious. hate that stuff though. would never ever ever take it again. ever.
Nope they haven't changed they last for 3 mths from the date of the last shot and it usually take s6 mths or more to even get your period back.
thanks tres- that's what i thought.