Women's Health: Postpartum Community

Is she destined to be a late walker?

DD will be 11 months in a few days.  She started crawling at around 9 months and now she's a pro.  I keep hearing people say "oh, if she's crawling, she's more comfortable doing that so she'll most likely not walk any time soon".  Is it true?  Do kids who do not crawl end up walking sooner than those who crawl first?  I see her "attempt" to take a step but she ends up sitting down and crawling to her desired destination.
My friends son started crawling around 8-9 months and just started walking at 13 months, but sometimes he doesn't feel confident enough to walk unless he's holding something in his hand
Every baby is different. An early walker or a late walker really does not mean anything developmentally unless they have not attempted to stand or take any steps and they are 19 months or older. Crawling is actually a very good sign--babies who never crawl sometimes do not develop the connection to the wires in their brain that stimulate other developmental milestones. This is not always the case, but it can be. Crawling wires the brain for future learning. I was so worried when my son just crawled all over but he was so good at it that he didn't bother to walk until almost 18 months while my other son walked confidently at 9 months after crawling for a few short weeks! Your DD will walk whenever she feels she is ready too, it could be very soon or she may take her time but crawling is always a good thing so I wouldn't worry too much.
Here's a website which talks about the benefits of crawling :
http://www.crawlies.ca/benefitsofcrawling.html
It's great she is crawling.  Don't rush the walking - once they start they don't stop!  She is perfectly on line with her development.  Do not worry.
Yeah,  every baby is different, and the longer they crawl the better developmentally, at least that is what I have been told...  my dd started crawling around 9 months and she was the exact same way, she turned walking into a game, she take 4 steps and then fall into our arms, and that is all she would do forever!! to actually get anywhere she'd crawl... I'd say it was between 13 and 14 months when she finally started to walk as a means of transportation!  She'll walk soon!!  
Nobody can tell you when she'll start walking....don't worry, she'll walk soon enough. Then you'll be posting "what do I do with my runaway toddler".  Enjoy this simple stage, as it gets complicated soon enough.....there is NOTHING wrong with her!  Literally, you will be crying in what feels like a matter of days when she will be RUNNING off to Kindergarten....

sniff**sniff**....just had to do this a few days ago, and still pretty emotional.

When I had my first, I just COULDN'T WAIT for her to sit up, eat cereal, crawl, walk, talk, run, wear underpants,  use a marker and put the cap back on,  get invited to parties...ya da ya da ya da....it all happens, and WAY TOO FAST.  

Thank you everyone for your replies.  I am, in no way, concerned.  I was just wondering if it's true what people say.  I'm happy with the fact that she's crawling and do realize that she'll start running in no time :))  Pixi, I know it was emotional for you.  I would be a wreck and I'm afraid that's what I'll be when DD goes to kindergarten.
my son didnt walk alone till the day before he was 13 months.  we all love them to go to the next stage and to hurry up and do this or that, give it time.  then when they only want to walk at the store or out, you will want to strap them down again lol.  one day you will look over and  she will be doing the monkey walk towards you!
My 1st dd started crawling at 8 months and she was such a pro crawler that she had no interest in walking until 15 months. I wasn't worried as she was on the late end of average. My 10 month old DD also started crawling at 8 months but it looks like she really wants to walk. My guess it that she'll take her first few steps in the next couple months.  
My sister's little girl didn't walk until about 14 months and her son walked at about 10.5 months!  Babies develope at different stages and times, i think as long as your little one is walking my 2 years you don't have anything to worry about!
My 1st child started walking at 1 year, my second at 16 months (yes late and shes perfectly healthy) and my 3rd at 13 months. All are perfectly healthy!
Me2mommy2b......You're not alone :)  DD is taking a few steps but totally prefers to walk.  Can you believe we are going to have 1 year olds?......
I mean prefers to CRAWL!!
Hey girl what's up?  I think every baby is different.  Gavin is crawling every where and loves to cruise.  I am not looking forward to him being so too mobile too soon, LOL.  How's everything else?  He is eating so much better now and would try anything.  I am so happy.  I posted some new pics on Yahoo too.  Also, I have becam an independent Discovery Toys consultant, stop by my site when you get a chance.
Dolly
I am glad to hear Gaving is eating better, he was obviously just going through one of those "stages", they all do it and there will be plenty more to come LOL!
Me too, thanks!  He was also teething so I guess he lost his appertite.  How's it going?
Oh good thanks, Sam is teething too, he has his top two front ones and a bottom one came through yesterday, he loves chewing on a crust of brown bread to make it feel better! What kinds of things is Gavin eating now? I am looking for some ideas for finger foods for Sam, he is non too keen on jarred food, or even being spoon fed for that matter. We had a scare with James last week, thought his shunt wans't working, but it turned out to be a virus so that was a relief. I saw your pictures of Gavin on Yahoo, he is such a cutie! I must get on and post a few more of my boys, I haven't done any for ages.
Yes, you have to.  I want to see their pics.
Gavin has 6 teeth now.  His favorite lately is Vanilla wafers, Malba toast, yogurt, and American cheese, apple sauce, banana, grapes, peaches, etc.  For lunch and supper, he would have grilled ham and cheese, mac'n cheese, and I make this alphabet noodles with veggies and meat, etc.  Gavin would not eat jarred food at all so I make his food every day.  Last night, we had baked turkey tenderloin so I think I am going ground the left over up and make turkey salad for all of us.
Wow, I'm glad Gavin's doing so much better.  I'm too lazy to make Ariella food every day (grrr).  I really have to cook for her at the same time as I'm cooking for us only not add spices.  She loves fruits and veggies but also as long as they don't come out of jars.  She doesn't really like chicken and she's ok with pasta.  Soups she's not too crazy about and toast...how exactly do you do it?  Just plain toast?  ON a different note, how do I view your site (discovery toys) and where on yahoo do you have his pix?  
I was thinking the same thing.  I canNOT believe that she's going to turn one soon.  Time flies, that's for sure!
Just to let you know I added a few more pics of the boys to Yahoo.
Me2, I am lazy sometimes too but I just can't think of anything but making his own food.  He liked the turkey salad I made last night and it's so easy, ground up the meat, put onion, celery, relishes and mayo in it.  We ate that for dinner too.  Serve with bread and grapes!
http://www.discoverytoyslink.com/esuite/home/EricaDoll
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/conception_tour_2006/
You will need your Yahoo Id
Mum, I will go check it out soon.
My 2 boys are even way different.  MY first one was crawling at 6 months though, very determined and walking at 10 months.  He probably would have been earlier, but he would crawl out to the middle of the room and stand up, just stand there, then sit down and crawl to where he wanted to go.  She's still early for walking, don't stress.  Some babies are happier crawling, some are more driven.  My second little one rolled earlier than the first, but he's more laid back, I think he won't be mobile as soon.  If she's trying already though, it probably won't be long.  So fun.
Ok, i'm so computer illiterate.  I'm assuming I need to join the group in order to view pix?