Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Itching after postpartum

Hi,

My wife gave baby boy on 19th June as normal delivery. Before almost one month, her legs were swelled. But after giving birth, her legs were swelled double times like  elephant legs for 3 days. Then it became normal.

From the next day of giving birth onwards, she had itching on her abdomen. Later it got spreaded all over her body.

Could you please advise what would be the reason and solutions for this, since She is suffering a lot.

Also we afraid whether this would spread to the child.

Thank you.
1 Responses
973741 tn?1342342773
The swelling of the legs is unusual. I'm glad that went back to normal but she should mention that to her doctor.  The itching.  Well, a couple of things.  I have itching due to pregnancy hormones.  It's common and wow, it's awful. But also, her skin is stretched and then not as stretched, etc.  Those changes can cause itching.  She could try Cortaid on her abdomen but probably just needs a good lotion on a regular basis and it should go away. If it doesn't, she should tell her doctor about that also when she next sees them.  In the states, we see a doctor post delivery at anywhere from 4 to 6 weeks.  Your wife should too.  

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health: Postpartum Community

Popular Resources
From skin changes to weight loss to unusual bleeding, here are 15 cancer warning signs that women tend to ignore.
Here’s what you need to know about the transition into menopause – and life after the change takes place.
It’s more than just the “baby blues.“ Learn to recognize the signs of postpartum depression – and how to treat it.
Forget the fountain of youth – try flossing instead! Here are 11 surprising ways to live longer.
From STD tests to mammograms, find out which screening tests you need - and when to get them.
Find out if PRP therapy right for you.