Itching after postpartum

My wife gave baby boy on 19th June as normal delivery. Before almost one month, her legs were swelled. But after giving birth, her legs were swelled double times like  elephant legs for 3 days. Then it became normal.

From the next day of giving birth onwards, she had itching on her abdomen. Later it got spreaded all over her body.

Could you please advise what would be the reason and solutions for this, since She is suffering a lot.

Also we afraid whether this would spread to the child.

Thank you.
The swelling of the legs is unusual. I'm glad that went back to normal but she should mention that to her doctor.  The itching.  Well, a couple of things.  I have itching due to pregnancy hormones.  It's common and wow, it's awful. But also, her skin is stretched and then not as stretched, etc.  Those changes can cause itching.  She could try Cortaid on her abdomen but probably just needs a good lotion on a regular basis and it should go away. If it doesn't, she should tell her doctor about that also when she next sees them.  In the states, we see a doctor post delivery at anywhere from 4 to 6 weeks.  Your wife should too.  

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health: Postpartum Community