Lactose intolerance?

My daughter is now 7 months old, when she was born she was switched to the gentlease formula, because she was not tolerating the "normal" formula. At about 4 months old we switched her to the prosobee (soy) formula, because she wasn't tolerating the gentlease either. About two weeks ago she had her normal check up, the doctor told me that she could now have table food if it was of baby food consistency, I asked him if I should watch out for food prepared with milk, he told me to try the Gerber mac and cheese. So last Thursday I tried it, and she instantly threw it up, it didn't have time to enter her system. Then last night my husband wanted to try it again, so we did. She didn't throw it up this time, but she had really bad gas, was up all night screaming, and bringing her legs up as if her belly hurt, I know it did. I am just wondering what to do, should I stay away from milk completely, and what if her doctor tells us to try it again?
It could be a milk allergy. I'd be hesitant to say it's Lactose Intolerance, only because it's rare for children to actually have this. Most doctors just say it is as a generalized thing and it's not the real cause. As we grow older it's more common (in fact I have it) since our body stops producing lactase. Usually symptoms occur an hour or so after eating. Try avoiding all dairy and see if it helps.

Symptoms of a milk allergy would be hives, vomiting, diarrhea, constipation, stomach pains and gas. These can occur within minutes of contact, or hours later.
Thank you! I don't give her anything with milk in it. Her doctor told me to try it, because he dosn't think she has an allergy or intolerance, but obviously there has to be something, right? Last night after I gave her the Gerber mac and cheese, I would say about 10 minutes after eating she got extremly fussy, I could tell her belly was hurting, and she had extrene gas. She is generally a very happy baby, so for her to act like that is totally out of the norm for her. She honestly was up all night just screaming in pain, she usually sleeps all night wih out any problems. Do you think I should call her doctor today, or just wait until her next apt. to talk to him about it? I mean honestly regardless of what he says I am going to stay away from anything dairy if it is just going to make her miserable.
Hmmm...you could really use your best judgement. There wouldn't really be much they can do if it is an allergy, just because avoidance is the only treatment. I'd just keep a list of foods you feed her and when you see the doctor next explain it all and her reactions to everything. It will help to make a better diagnoses. You could also get a different opinion from other doctors if yours is saying nothing is wrong---because clearly something is bothering her.
Thank you so much for your help! I will make a list and just take it in to him at her next visit, and if he still is telling me nothing is wrong then I will have to get a second opinion, because like you said obviously something is bothering her. I just want to know what it wrong with her so I can help her. Thanks again. =)
Good luck! I hope she starts to feel better and you find out the reason behind the distress.

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health: Postpartum Community

STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.