Women's Health: Postpartum Community

Late ovulation connected to miscarriage?

Does anyone know if ovulating late is connected to miscarriage? I've had 3 since sep 2006. Each one I o'd after day 30. I've had a complete recurrent miscarriage workup and everything's been normal except I'm hetero for mthfr (which apparentely means nothing) and I have polycystic looking ovaries, which my doc swears is not PCOS. Could it be my late ovulation not producing quality eggs? I know people do conceive and it's fine with a late o, but do you think this could be my problem? I'm going on clomid next cycle. Thanks!
You need a new doc hun. I have all the same things and 5 losses in 2 years. If I do not take Metformin, extra Vit B-6, B-12, folic acid, and a baby asprin a day I will continue to miscarry....so will you! You need to be treated before going on CLomid as CLomid causes a higher risk of miscarriage and 2 of my losses were Clomid babies. If you are seeing an OB, LEAVE and RUN!!! They misdiagnosed me 3 times and said they were specialisats. No OB is a specialist in infertility and reoccurring loss...and RE = Reproductive Endocrinologist is what you want. If you are seeing one now and they have not put you on meds...get another fast.MTHFR factor and PCOS are nothing to play with.

PCOS causes a high risk of early loss and makes ovulations late...which you are correct makes them not viable most times. Then add MTHFR factor in there and you could have high homocystine levels which causes early loss and improper processing of Vit B and folic acid...which makes a healthy baby. MTHFR factor also makes it hard to get pG and stay PG once you become that way. The recommended therapy for MTHFR factor is 100 mg Vit-B 6, 250 mcg B-12, 800 mcg Folic Acid, and a 81 mg baby asprin per day. This is on top of your daily prenatal vitamin. Also Metfomin is usually started 3 months before CLomid for PCOS women to reduce the risk of loss and help correct some of the issues associated with the disorder. It also can regulate cycles and make you more fertile.

Kimmie
Hi, thanks for your response. I am seeing a RE. For the MTHFR I am on 4mg folic acid as well as the extra B vitamins, and I'm taking a baby aspirin. I am 24, a healthy weight and I do ovulate each cycle, which range from 30 days to 50+ at times. However, I don't know how my 3 miscarriages are playing into throwing off my cycles. I've had many ultrasounds in which I have more follicles than normal, but my ovaries are a normal size. I will ask to get my insulin levels, testerone and LH drawn as these are the only tests I haven't done. My RE says multiple follicles on ovaries are usually a good thing, and are different from PCOS. I am able to get pregnant very easily. Also, if my insulin levels are fine I wouldn't take metformin anyway would I? Only the clomid to ttc. My homocysteine levels were low. Thanks! Have you been able to carry a healthy pregnancy on these meds?
I just got on my new regime after so many losses. I am on my second cycle and find out on Tuesday if I am PG. I had no polycystic ovaries or other PCOS signs...I am only 135 lbs and very normal in weight and my insulin is awesome. I had high DHEA and Testosterone come to find out. Me RE thought I did not have it either and I do. Metformin helped to make my ovulation normal and lower the risk of more losses. Before I was only on Clomid and Prometrium and I still miscarried. My RE said Metformin cannot hurt you and actually can enhance fertility. Glad to hear you are on the extra B vitamins - were you on them prior to your losses? I was not. I am hoping the new meds will work...guess I will find out soon. BTW - I have a 10 year old son...so go figure how now it is showing up. I was on Depo Provera and they think the PCOS was Birth Control induced.

Kimmie
Girls, if you don't mind me asking what is MTHFR?
thank you for the info.  I've heard people talk about it but I wasn't sure what it is.  I am having my first visit with my RE tomorrow so I'm really nervous...this is all new to me.  Is this sometihng they test you for or do you need to ask them to test you for it?  I just had a m/c on June 18th and a D and C on the 19th...I think my hormones are all messed up....I still haven't had an AF....but I was spotting and some cramping for a couple of days but that was it.  When I had my D and C she had to put something on my cervix to make my blood clot b/c she said I was bleeding a lot so this MTHFR is interesting to me???
MTHFR facot is a defective gene on the X chromosoneand a blood clotting disorder. It causes deficiency in synthisizing Vit - B products and causes high levels of a chemical called homocystine. It can also lead to stoke and heart attacks. If you have one defective gene then you are at risk for early losses, but still can have some live children. When you have a double dose (2 defectove genes) you will have a much harder time getting PG and will miscarry if not on treatment. I hope that made some sense. It is actually very common and one of the leading causes in early miscarraige - other than chomosomal anomilies in the fetus or gametes (egg and sperm).

Kimmie
I am also very sorry for your loss. It can take awhile to get AF back after a D&C. They clean you out really good and it can take a few months to rebuild a thick enough lining and ovulate again. I have had many losses and it took 2 months on average witht eh D&C to get AF. I got a normal cycle though right after my natural losses.

Kimmie
Once I had multiple losses i was given a miscarriage panal. You can demand one since you have had a documented loss. It would be a good idea to see if it could be a factor. I found the miscarriage panal to be the best diagnostic tool. It has gotten me the right diagnosis finally after 2 1/2 years and 3 misdiagnosis from my OB.

Kimmie
Thanks for all your help...I will have to request that tomorrow...I'll keep you posted.