Aa
A
A
A
Close
Women's Health: Postpartum Community
26.1k Members

Loss of blood

With my first child I had to have an emergency C-setion. During which I lost quite a bit of blood and had to have a transfusion. We are not considering our second child, our first will be two in Jan. The only thing stopping me is that I am scared I will loose more blood. My great grandmother died during birth due to this. What are the chances of me loosing blood again?
2 Responses
172023 tn?1334672284
There are many reasons for hemorrhaging during delivery, and most of those reasons would not necessarily be something that would be repeated.  Having said that, they would certainly be vigilant in recognizing any early signs of problems, since you have a past history of bleeding.

Many of our grandmothers and great grandmothers lacked the modern care that we enjoy today, so I wouldn't let what happened to her affect your decision at all.

Your best bet is to see your OBGYN prior to conceiving, to discuss concerns and to get a professional opinion.  
134578 tn?1602101550
I also had an emergency c-section, and I did not lose any blood.  So I would suggest that it is not a given that you will hemorrhage if you have a c.  Good luck, talk to your doc about what happened last time, maybe he or she can find something in your records that explains it, and may even learn that it would not necessarily repeat.
Popular Resources
From skin changes to weight loss to unusual bleeding, here are 15 cancer warning signs that women tend to ignore.
Here’s what you need to know about the transition into menopause – and life after the change takes place.
It’s more than just the “baby blues.“ Learn to recognize the signs of postpartum depression – and how to treat it.
Forget the fountain of youth – try flossing instead! Here are 11 surprising ways to live longer.
From STD tests to mammograms, find out which screening tests you need - and when to get them.
Find out if PRP therapy right for you.