Women's Health: Postpartum Community

Maddie's earlobe is infected! =(

I just saw it right now when I was giving her a bath... I noticed some discharge before... it was watery and built up between her ear and the pin behind the earring, but tonight I saw an abscess! =( I don't think it hurts or anything, she doesn't pull on it or grab it... only when i was trying to look at it... so I put that saline solution (antiseptic) that they gave me when they did the piercing to cleanse it.
Should I call the doctor???? should I put some antibiotic ointment on it?? i mean, i know you can't use just anything on a baby.... and the doctors office (of course) is closed  right now, so I just used some of that solution for now.

Argh, man... my poor baby girl! =(
if you have a little bacitracin, or triple antibiotic ointment it would be ok, what color is the drainage
I think you should pull both earrings out (if there are two,  I can't tell),  THOROUGHLY cleanse the earlobe with warm soapy water,  and then put neosporin on both earlobes.

Watch the earlobes for further infection.

Then,  wait until she is old enough to want earrings to attempt to pierce her ears again - maybe when she's 13 or so.
This happened to my daughter too after she had had her earrings in over 6 months and I did everything right keeping them clean.  I took both out and let the holes close I will never pierce again until she and my future girls are old enough to ask for it themselves.

My dd's looked like a little bubble on the back of her lobe - I put a warm wash rag on there and it went down then I put antibiotic ointment on it for a few days and she was fine.  It never hurt her and today there is no scar.  Good Luck
Oh thank you ladies! great advice... I will call the doctor just in case and see what he has to say.

Thank you!