Women's Health: Postpartum Community

Mentrual Symptoms Vs. Early Pregnancy Symptoms

Many young women often think they might be pregnant at one point or another. My question to you is this:

What symptoms of early pregnancy are different than that of mentrual symptoms?

Reason I ask is that friends often come to me for advice because they think they are pregnant. It seems that it's hard to tell early on because symptoms of both are similar. So how do you know if it's time to take a pregnancy test, or if you should opt not to because it could only be symptoms of the onset of menses?

How do you know if you haven't started your period because you're pregnant or because you are stressed, or both!?!

Clearly not one question...I apologize. I seem to be the one needing the advice now that no one can seem to give me. Not even myself. Thanks for listening.
OMG I can't spell! *Menstrual*

LOL!
most docs will tell you that you should only test if you have missed a period. this is becuase the early PG symptoms are exactly the same as menstrual symptoms. womens symptons can vary with every cycle and/or pregnancy. the only way to be 100% sure if you are PG or not is to take a home pregnancy test at around 14 days after ovulation or the day after a missed period. if the test is positive than the doctor will perform a urine and blood test to confirm. if the test is negative, wait 3 days and see if menses arrives, if not test again. if still negative see a doctor and have blood levels drawn to make a 100% diagnosis. there is no sign or symptom that will tell you for sure you are pregnant before a test will. i have been pregnant many times and most of them i 'knew' a week after conception. but i had the same symptoms during some of my monthly cycles too. i hope this helped.

love....kimmie
kimmie has it right. Wait till you miss a period, if neg wait a few more days to a week.  If neg and you are worried, see a doc.  Otherwise wait it out and you will probably start.

I had overwhelming nausea before I missed periods with both my boys.  Not subtle; very, very, very bad nausea, sometimes vomiting, and an aversion to any strong odors.  That's the only symptom I think is different than just premenstrual symptoms.
Thanks Kimmie and Christy. You've made me feel better. Now I think I can relax and focus on something else. lol.

Thanks again,

Crissie
I really need answer asap, and there is no room to post right now. I am having cramps, I'm on day 10 of cycle. Could this be associated with ovulation? Feels like AF cramps. Also increased cm, but not egg white. More white and creamy. Thanks for answers!!! God bless!
as 'o' approaches your discharge will get more abundant. cramps are normal too....the overy that is releasing the egg swells and the cyst bursts to release the egg. this swelling causes cramps in a lot of women. it sounds normal to me. a week before 'o' is about the time i get those overy type cramps. if it becomes more than the normal twinging and pinging pain see you doc. the CM will thin out as 'o' approuches....it is just getting more abundant right now. white and creamy is the usual non ovulating type discharge. it will start to change in the next few days. hope this helped.

love, hugs, and baby dust....kimmie