Milk?

Im breastfeeding. hes been giving me greif. he will be a month on weds and he was born at 8 lbs 1 ounce. thrus he went to the doctos and hes 9lbs 10.5 ounces. so hes eatting well. but hes been doing this snacking thing....still but only when hes on me. so ive been pumping and putting it in a bottle and he will drink that straight. hardely any snacking. but i pumped last night and put it in the fridge becase he was sleeping at the time...and today i gave it too him but its very watery. is that normal for breast milk. he usually has milk run out of the corner of his mouth a little bit and its very white but when i gave him the bottle that had been in the fridge it was more clear and watery.

i feel like its not as good as if i just feed him from my breast.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
i don't know for sure but it sounds to me like it is the fore milk.  when i pump, the milk at the beginning is very watery (clear) and then it get whiter as it goes into the hind milk.
Helpful - 0
Yeah, you may have to pump for a longer period of time to draw out the hind milk. Both the foremilk and the hind milk are important for each and every feeding. If you have drawn it out, you will notice it will separate in the fridge and have the fattier hind milk on top while the watery foremilk will be on the bottom. Gentle swirling of the bottle under running warm tap water will help mix it and warm it at the same time.

Let him snack at the breast, Kim. In time, his feedings will get longer as the size of his stomach increases. Allowing him to nurse builds up your supply and you have a few major growth spurts around the corner, so you will want all the milk you can get!!
Helpful - 0
i pumpped each breast for like 10 mins i saw the cleary stuff and then white when i pumped. but in the bottle he seemed to be drinking clear milk only.

alright. i mean i do let him snack but i feel like i have a baby on my breast the whole time.
Helpful - 0
Breast feeding is important bonding time. If I could, I would but I cant because of the Blood Pressure and other meds I am on.  I BF my oldest daughter and they like to snack and they like to be close to you and your skin and warmth. There were days where she would literally be connected to my boob all day long! lol  Also remember Breast Milk digests faster, therefore they are hungry more often.  Stick with it girl! You are doing great! =)
Helpful - 0
It does feel like you have a baby feeding all the time, but that's what nature intended babies to do.  You're doing awesome, keep it up.  

At this age, babies are so helpless and dependent on their mothers every single minute of every single day.  It can be overwhelming, but just remember--this time is so short!
Helpful - 0
I agree, Kim, you are doing great. It is so very demanding these first few months but as time goes by they spread out their feedings. It really does seem like 24/7, but it won't last long.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health: Postpartum Community

STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.