Women's Health: Postpartum Community

Miscarriage - what it is like doing it naturally

When I was told Thursday that my pregnancy was going end in inevitable miscarriage I wasn't even truly spotting - just a little when I wiped. When I asked the nurse what to expect she said everyone is different. So I was scared and nervous when things started on their own today - and by tonight it was BAD.

I couldn't find information that said what was normal as far as clotting and color of blood, etc. so I called the Dr. because I was nervous it was too much and too red, etc.  So in effort to help someone else who might be going through this unfortunate event - I thought I'd post what MY experience has been like so far. But I DO know everyone is different.

1. Started with minimal bleeding - normal period-like color.
2. Within 12 hours I was passing fist-sized clots and smaller and soaking through pads in less than 30 minutes.
3. The color during this phase was BRIGHT BRIGHT red - not at ALL like period. I was scared I was bleeding out!
4. My Dr. said this should be the worst and that this severeness should subside w/in an hour and if it didn't he wanted me to go to the ER
5. He was right - the bleeding slowed down and wasn't as bright red, but the clotting continues - and that is so uncomfortable and gross.
6. Cramping was REALLY bad before the bad stuff started - now it is more like a bad period-like cramps - tolerable but not fun.
7. I don't know how long all of this will last - but it is gross - and seems really unfair given the emotional side of it all too.

I hope I wasn't too gross - but I was hoping to find something like this earlier tonight.
I am sorry for what you just went through. It is a terrible thing to go through.

I went through a miscarriage at 11 weeks a few years ago and it was almost exactly how you just described it. I started spotting red blood about 2 days before the miscarriage started. I was making supper one night and started having terrible low back pressure. Then a huge gush of blood. All of my kids were right there with me. After 3 hours of heavy heavy bleeding I called the doctor. I was not able to get off the toilet for 3 hours. I called mine uncontainable in a pad because of the large clots so they told me to go to the ER just to be safe. I had a clot that had gotten stuck that seemed to be  causing me to keep bleeding. Once they took care of that my bleeding subsided also and didn't require a d&c. I don't remember any bad cramping with mine. Other than the terrible low back pressure minutes before it started, I don't remember having any pain after that.

I was anemic from blood loss but not too bad. It is amazing how much blood you can lose and still be fine if you are pregnant. I was sure I was bleeding to death. Your body has made so much extra blood for the pregnancy.

I bled for several weeks. Then one day I passed a large clot and then had no more bleeding. I wondered if all the bleeding kept coming from the one clot that was left.

I waited one full cycle then got pregnant again and had a healthy baby boy.
I'm so sorry to hear what you are going through, all I can say is hang in there it will pass. The physical recovery is one thing but the emotional one is another.

I had a natural miscarriage last month at 10 weeks. It started as brown spotting for two weeks, then like you, lots of blood and lots of clots. I didn't have any cramping and it was over within 12 hours, so I thought. I did an u/s and there was retained tissue. I tried some abortion pill (TWICE) for two weeks but there was still tissue. After all of that I had to have a D&C. I was off work for awhile and those aholes (I hope I can say that) were on my case. I retured two weeks ago and only now am I starting to move on. I was sad through out the entire 8 weeks it took to end the pregnancy. I now realize it was our bodies natural way of taking care of something that just wasn't right. It still hurts since it's so hard for me to get pregnant, but I'm hopeful it will happen again and that the outcome will be positive. I'm told it usually turns out ok the next time around.

I do hope you feel better soon but of body and mind. You are in my thoughts...
I am so sad for you.  I have been constantly following your posts and I just knew things would turn out differently.  But it didnt, and thats OK. I know that it is a hard thing to have to go through, but time heals all wounds, believe me, I have been where you are twice...one at 5 months and one a few months ago.  I just wanted to say it does get better with time and you will continue to be in my thoughts and prayers like you have been these past agonizing days.     Try to look at it this way, at least you know that you can get pregnant.  It will happen again when God is ready for it to.  In the mean time take care of yourself and just know all of us are here for you if you need to talk/cry/vent/need a pick me up...ect.  Take care.
Amber
you guys are so awesome! Honest I just posted this because I thought someone else might be interested in case they were scared or an information junkie like myself - the fact that you two took the time to post kind words - everyone on here just blows me away - so kind, so faithful and so wonderful. Thank you.
Sorry for your loss.
This posting is definately helping me in deciding on having natural m/c or D&C.  I probably will be scared of the bright red blood, bad cramping and emotion toll of not knowing when will it happen.  D&C maybe a better choice for me.  Thanks for the posting.  It really helps.
I'm so sorry for your loss were you very far on I went through exactly what you are going through I was 12 weeks but I also passed a little baby with arms legs etc that was really traumatic
and possibly a boy im also going to be a mum of 2 girls I'm due to have another girl in 2 weeks I'm really sorry it does get better in time good luck with your next pregnancy take care.