Miscarriage-Chromosomal abnormalities?

Hi ladies,
Unfortunately, I am having my second miscarriage in a year and I am starting to think about getting tested before I try again. both of my miscarriages are/have been due to fetal developments problem, meaning the fetus did not grow accordingly and the heartbeat was never heard. I know that the problem could be chromosomal abnormality of the fetus (in other words bad egg or sperm), but could there be any other reason as well? Could uterin abnormalities cause this type of miscarriage? I am 33.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Cagrlasu, dont loose hope. I am going through miscarriage as I am writing this, but still I am trying to stay positive. I know that usually the reason for miscarriage remains unknown and that is frustraiting, but we have to follow up and try again.

Julie,  I am sorry for your loss. I miscarried today as well. both emotionally and physically it was very hard. I know that it was even harder for you since you had heard the heartbeat. But please stay positive and think about the futrure. this is a good sign that we do get pregnant, so hopefully we can carry to term too.
Helpful - 0
I think that if I had 2 miscarriages in a year, I would want some testing, both on myself and on the fetus.  
I really think I would want this investigated thoroughly at this point.  I know some doctors don't do anything until you have had 3 miscarriages, but I feel like for me personally, I would want to look at this now, rather than risk it happening again.

If my doctor wouldn't do any testing, I believe I'd find another doctor who would.  
Helpful - 0
Hi! I just had a miscarriage today- well, a D&C with our third child but this is my first miscarriage.  Mine was a placenta problem  more than likely from the sonogram.  Baby had strong heartbeat (189) last week when I was 12 weeks so we thought all was fine but at my sonogram yesterday, no heartbeat and baby was "gone" on the sonogram except for a section of the spine that could be seen.  I asked my doc. this morning and he said no one ever knows for sure but it appeared to be a placenta problem.  I did have a hemorrhage and more that likely, it caused the placenta to detach and fill with blood causing the baby to stop growing.  Don't know if that helps or not but I feel your pain as I'm going through the same thing today.

Julie
Helpful - 0
Turns out it was a normal boy so it wasn't chromosonal.  Now they think my blood may be rejecting the baby so they are talking about me doing lymphocite immunotherapy where they take my husband's white blood cells and inject them into me so my body gets used to his blood so when the baby is in there my body doens't attack him or her.  I hope this is our answer. I'm getting tired of going through so many losses:(
Helpful - 0
Hello ladies,

I Had a Miscarriage in 2004, tubal in 2005, and Miscarriage in 2005.  It was the hardest thing for my husband and I to go through.  I never got passed 6 weeks, never seen the baby, and never heard a heart beat.  After trying again for a year and no pregnancy we started to get reral worried.  My Doctor referred me to a Fertility Doctor.  I had 3 unsuccessfull IUI's (artificial insemination) and my doctor said that he wanted to take a look at my insides.  In March 2007 I had the surgery and come to find out I had a small amount of endomitriosis and adhesions in my tubes.  The docotr removed the endomitriosis and adhesions and said I was as good as gold and he seen me getting pregnant in 6 months.  Well, exactly 6 months later I found out I was pregnang and I was very nervous because of my past history.  I am now 11 weeks pregnant and we seen the lil one 3 times already and the heart rate is going strong at 171 bpm.  I thank my doctor and god everyday.  Please if anyone has had more than 2 or 3 unsuccessful pregnancies go to a fertility doctor and they will help you sooo much.  Good luck to all and Baby dust.
Helpful - 0
We sem to have almost the same thing going on. I had my D&C on Oct 31st.  We think this time we had the clotting disorder under control but that it was genetic this time. I should find out my results from the D&C and baby around the same time as you.  Hope you get some answers and I am sorry for your losses.

-L
Helpful - 0
I don't have any answers for you either, but I just wanted to say sorry for your loss.  I think that even after 2 miscarriages your chances for a healthy pregnancy are still pretty good.
Helpful - 0
Thank You. I actually convinced my doctor to have some test before I want to try again. how long do theses tests take?
Helpful - 0
I think you should ask to be tested for some clotting disorder.  I am 30 and have now had 4 mc.  They found out that after the 3rd one My factor VIII level is high and I have the MTHFR genetic mutation.  They are both clotting issues.  I started Heparin as soon as we found out we were expecting again but found out that they baby had no heartbeat on Oct. 30th.  Had a D&C on Nov 1st.  They sent the baby off for genetic testing because they thought the clotting issue was under control.  Will find out the results on NOV 29.  *** I really do think you should see about the blood clotting testing.  It takes A LOT of blood (24 tubes) but if they find the problem, it is worth it.
Good luck to you.  Let me know how it works out.  
  I am praying for you.  
Tara
Helpful - 0
LIlyb that is so annoying how it takes your doc so long to get back to you:(  Have you thought about switching docs?  What do you mean that they are not testing the baby because they say 3 miscarriages is alarming?  Kind of confused my that sentence.  Do you mean they won't test the baby until after 3 losses?    Iwould go see an RE.  I did after my second loss and he got us the furthest we have ever been.  We finally had a baby and a heartbeat instead of just a sac.Hope you are doing okay.  I'm here to talk anytime.

-L
Helpful - 0
Thank you all for the support. Cagrlasu they are not testing the baby becaus ethey say 3 miscarriage is alarming. If they dont test the baby, I would rather wait to pass the tisuue naturally. Ive contacted my doc to see if my HCG is dropping, but as usual it will take her days before she calls me back. So frustrated.
Helpful - 0
I'm so sorry to hear this.

I have also had to miscarriages both without ever seeing a heartbeat, but on a second note, I also had 2 healthy boys.

I had a miscarriage, then 6 weeks later got pregnant with my oldest son, then I had a second miscarriage, then 6 weeks later I got pregnant with my second son, now I am 6 weeks preg according to my last period, and I am sad as they have yet to see a baby in the sac and my HCG levels are high which may indicate a molar pregnancy.

I will pray for you, but don't give up just yet, you'll have a healthy beautiful baby.
Helpful - 0
sorry for all of the typos. I must have typed too fast.)
Helpful - 0
I'm sorry for your losses. I jus thad my 3rd miscarriage a week ago.  We had a heartbeat and baby was measuring perfectly but then I had a missed miscarriage.  Baby died a week after seeing the heartbeat but we didn'thave any clue anything ws wrong.  Went in for a san at 11 weeks and baby ws measuring 8 weeks 3 days no heartbeat:(  I had a D&Con Halloween and we are waiting for teat results from the baby to see what went wrong this time. I was on all sorts of meds as it was discovered that I have a blood clotting disorder which is why I had 2 blighted ovums prior to this miscarriage.  Doc thinks it ws just bad luck this time around but we are going to make sure once we get the results. Did you have a D&C?  Are they testing the baby?
Helpful - 0
So sorry for your losses.

My doc said that when the fetus doesn't develop early on, it is almost always a genetic issue.  Sometimes low progesterone.  You might want to test for that.

Best of luck to you.
Helpful - 0
Sorry I don't have any answers for you, but I just want to say I am sorry to hear your sad news.

Take care,

Ruth xx
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health: Postpartum Community

STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.