Women's Health: Postpartum Community

My newborn hasnt pooped in 24 hours, should I be concerned?

He had a real good poop 24 hours ago butnone since.  Lots of wet diapers and eating fine.  He is 10 days old.  Is it ok or is he constipated?  And if he is constipated what can I give him?
If you're bottle feeding check to see if the formula has iron in it...he might be a little constipated
Yes it does have iron, should i switch?  What can i give him to help him poop?
I think hes been trying to go for about the past hour ;(
As long as he's having lots of wet diapers I wouldn't be concerned yet. No poop does not always mean constipation. Unless he is struggling, uncomfortable, and producing hard pebble like stools (when he does go)he is not constipated.
It's normal you don't have to switch or give him anything unless he is fussy and doesn't want to eat,  my dr says newborns can go up to 8 days without having a bowel
At his age you can try bicycling the legs, massaging his tummy gently, and checking a rectal temp (to stimulate the sphincter) under 1 month of age there is nothing you can give him for the constipation.
Also almost all formulas have iron in them, its necessary otherwise all babies would end up anemic.
He more than likely is just constipated. I would get concerned if he wasn't having wet diapers at all. You could aways call his pediatrician.  Also try simply rubbing his lower back
Isnt constapation kind of a big deal?  Will it resolve itself?  He normally poops about 6 times a day or so.  He keeps trying to go and getting fussier by the minute, pediatrician is closed on sundays.  My mother said to dive him water?  Isnt he too young to drink plain water?
Never ever ever give a newborn water. Infants can develop water toxicity far easier than an older child. Again try taking a rectal temp (lube the thermometer) and try massage and bicycling the legs.
When my son was born he would only poop every other day.he's 8 months now and completely healthy. The doctors said it was normal
Plain water is not good for a baby. You can never give a new born baby water. I wouldn't be too concerned about the constipation. I would just call the dr in the morning if he still hasn't gone poop.
@knufrio, i have been doing those things, except the rectal temp, i will try that when he wakes up again, i finally got him to sleep.

@juno92 my baby normally poops about 6 or so times a day
Is he fussy? Honestly I wouldn't say he's constipated if its only been 24hrs . I thought the same with my first baby & asked her Dr about it he said it was completely normal and a day later she was back to regular bowel movements:)
If you take him to the doctors for constipation. They'll most likely not prescribe him anything. They'll just give you instructions on how to relieve it. Just try watering down his bottle. Put a little less formula And a little more water. His digestive system is just getting used to the formula. There's no need to worry. Eventually he'll go. Its only been 24 hours. Worry when its been like a week or so.
Yes he is fussy and im sure that he is constipated.

Knufrio, i just read if the thermometer thing  doesnt. Work to try a glycerine suppository?
My son was the same way I always felt so bad for him o switched to gentlease and had no problems
In a baby that young I wouldn't feel comfortable suggesting a suppository without guidance from your pediatrician since they are dosed for older babies. Usually drs get concerned with constipation if its been three days without a bm (once they are over a month it can be longer) I'd say if he sleeps well let him be for the night. As long as he's not vomiting the fussiness isn't too much of a concern at this point.
I did the thermometer thing, how long should it take to work?
I did it about 10 mins ago and hes still straining.
It could happen while your doing it or could take a little bit. If he doesn't go tonight that's okay. Is he passing gas at all?
No, he isnt
Any vomiting or excessive spit up? And if you feel his belly (not while he's straining) is it soft or does it stay really hard and distended?
No vomitting, tummy is hard, he does spit up a lot more since i started the formula a few days ago but i dont think its exzessive, I breastfed for the first week but it didnt work out :(
2