Aa
A
A
A
Close
Women's Health: Postpartum Community
26.1k Members

NEED SOME ADVICE ON MY NEW BORN

HELLO MY NEWBORN DAUGHTER IS FEEDING EVERY 1 TO 2 HOURS AND SHE SLEEPS A TON AND IT TAKES HER A LONG TIME TO BURP AND SHE HAS THROWN UP TWICE TODAY AND THE SECOND TIME SHE WAS ASLEEP THE SECOND TIME WHEN IT HAPPENED AND IT SCARED ME AND MY QUESTION IS THIS: HOW CAN I TELL IF SHE IS SICK OR NEEDS TO SEE HER DOCTOR SOONER THEN HER NEXT APT?
3 Responses
My son was the same. When we took him to the hospital we found out he has a "soft larynx". It's a quite common condition but it's very hard to burp the child and they throw up-actually it's acid reflux and it could be painful for them.
It does correct itself by itself most of the time and u should not be worried.
Talk to ur doc for a diagnosis. For now put some blankets/towels under her matress to keep her head higher than her feet. If ur bottle feeding and have some extra cash-dr.browns bottles are awesome for reflux and gas.
My son was prescribed baby Zantac and he never throws up anymore and feeding is no longer a nightmare!
I feel for you but don't worry it's not serious and things WILL her better. Let me know how it goes and congratulations on ur new baby girl!!!
By the way-yes u should schedule an appointment sooner to answer ur question.
377493 tn?1356505749
The rule of thumb with a newborn or young baby is to see your Dr. with any concerns.  Many offices will also let you call and speak to a nurse.  I will tell you though that your baby does not sound abnormal.  My son also fed every hour or two.  Lot's of babies do.  And it sounds she might just be spitting up.  It can look like a lot more then it is.  Again, very common.  My son did that a fair amount as well and had no medical issues.  No medications were necessary in his case.

It isn't considered a great idea to prop babies unless instructed by a Dr. to do so.  Babies can slide a bit and wind up trapped.  I just wouldn't do it without talking to your Dr.  For some babies it is recommended, but when I very specifically asked if I should, I was told by my son's pediatrician not to.  It isn't always necessary.

Honestly, baby sounds find.  But again, when in doubt always talk to your Dr.
Popular Resources
From skin changes to weight loss to unusual bleeding, here are 15 cancer warning signs that women tend to ignore.
Here’s what you need to know about the transition into menopause – and life after the change takes place.
It’s more than just the “baby blues.“ Learn to recognize the signs of postpartum depression – and how to treat it.
Forget the fountain of youth – try flossing instead! Here are 11 surprising ways to live longer.
From STD tests to mammograms, find out which screening tests you need - and when to get them.
Find out if PRP therapy right for you.