Natural ways to help my 2 year old son with add

Hello.  My son is 2 1/2 years old and is extremely hyperactive.  From the moment he wakes up in the morning until he goes to bed at night he is "on the go" as my husband and I call it.  He has pretty much been like this since he was able to walk.  He doesn't listen when being told to do things, he dosesn't respond to time out or any sort of discipline.  I thought that it was just a 2 year old thing or even a boy thing, but now it seems to be interfering in other things.  I am a stay-at-home-mom so I am always with him.  We have what I call an "arts and crafts" time every morning after breakfast... during this time we color, draw pictures, make signs for daddy, ect.  During this time he throws the crayons across the room, ripes the paper up, ect.  I can not get him to concentrate at all.  Then during the afternoons if its nice outside we will go to the park or take a walk.  This is another ordel.  He doesn't socialize well with the other children, he is yelling and trying to push them over.  I feel like I am constantly apoligizing to the other mothers for his behavior.  On days when it isn't nice outside, I put in a movie for him and he can't even sit still for 5 mins during it.  He is up and down off of the couch, picking up his toys and throwing them around the room, running up and down the stairs.  I put him it time out when things get really out of control for 2 1/2 mins, then explain to him what he did and that that type of behavior is unexceptable and he will go right back to doing it.  He goes back into time out again and again and again with the same results everytime.  Now within the last week he is refusing to eat.  He will eat a little bit and then starting throwing the food off of his plate, turning his cup over to spill his milk on the floor, hitting whoever is sitting next to him.  I have repeatedly took him out of his chair and into time out and again nothing works.  I am at my wits end.  His doctor says that he is definintely showing signs of adhd and probably needs to be on medication.  I DO NOT want him on medication!! I am scared and tired and not sure what to do.  Is there a natural way to make this better??  I tried adjusting his diet.  He only drinks milk and water.   I make him healthy foods for all of this meals - not that he really eats them anymore.  He doesn't eat sugary snacks.  Any advice would be soooo helpful.
My daughter is on medication for her ADHD and it is working beautifully for her but I do think that 2 is entirely WAY too young to medicate.  LIke you, I knew that my daughter had a problem since she was able to walk and talk .I tried EVERYTHING I could find on the subject.  Finally, this year I had her evaluated and she was diagnosed and put on the LOWEST dose possible. She is almost 7 years old.  She can now concentrate in school , is on the A honor roll, etc.  Like I said, I totally understand your hesitation and reservations on putting your kid on meds. Hopefully, you can find something or a system to help you out! ............Good Luck!!
i keep hearing that milk allergies can cause adhd symptoms, i honestly dont know if its true or not, but it might be something to look into.

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health: Postpartum Community