Needing Carseat Advice

DH and I went to install the baby's carseat last night only to discover that 2 carseats will not fit in our car as we had planned.  We have a small Saturn and since DH is 6'5" he has his seat all the way back, I myself am fairly tall and have my seat back a ways too providing little room in the backseat.  Now up until now that has been okay as DS is in the middle and his feet can sit in between the 2 bucket seats in the front.  But, as I have now reached 37 weeks we need to put the infant seat in and it cannot sit behind DH (no room) but nor can DS because of the same reason.  

My question then comes down to this - getting a new car is out of the question financially for us as we are building a new home and well every last penny is going to that...  My plan is to put the new baby in the middle and DS behind me.  But I feel like I am sacrificing DS's safety since the middle is the safest.  I also am concerned about them being right next to each other - will DS throw toys at the baby?  What kinds of problems could that create?  

Any suggestions?

-Bearhitch
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Okay, thanks for the advice.  Well we didn't buy the small car - it came with me when we got married and when his broke down it left us with this one.  It has worked out okay until now.  In fact, it is actually kind of funny seeing DH drive my car - it reminds me of the dad on the Incredibles when he is tucked into their bitsy car  :)  
Helpful - 0
Call your nearest Saturn dealership or look online, and ask them what two carseats by brand and model can fit in the back with the seats in front set the minimum distance that you and your husband can stand.  (Moral: don't buy a small car if you have a big husband.  I'm making my plans right now to buy a new car with a bigger back-seat-to-front-seat distance for that very reason.  Just need to save up many thousands of bucks first!)   Even some bigger cars don't have a lot of distance in the back seat for toddler's feet and legs, so literally do some measuring when checking out your next car.  I dislike having my chin on the dashboard when I'm a passenger, so as my son's legs get longer, I'm saving harder.  LOL
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health: Postpartum Community

STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.