No h/b through vaginal u/s at 8.5 weeks

At my vaginal ultrasound yesterday I was confirmed at 8 weeks and 3 days, but with no heartbeat.  They have recommended that I wait for a spontaneous miscarriage or schedule my D&C for next week.  I don't want to completely give up hope yet, as another website I've seen shows that this is misdiagnosed all the time.  I don't want to lose faith in both doctor's that looked at me, but I feel rushed to make a decision on the procedure.  I want to really do another ultrasound just to make sure, and just looking for friendly advice.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I went through this a few years ago and found a lot of support here so I hope you will too.

I had 3 miscarriages in 2006....the first 2 were natural with extreme cramping and bleeding around 6-7 weeks.

With my 3rd, the Drs advised no hb at week 6, week 7 and week 8.  Finally when I was close to 9 weeks, I had them check again and still no hb with vaginal u/s.  This being my 3rd m/c, I just need closure so I scheduled the D&E.  

I sometimes regret it as I wish I waited to m/c naturally again so I could be sure.  100% sure, as now I will face life everyday wondering if I gave up to soon on my little girl.

My best advise is to as the Dr to do 1 more u/s in 2 weeks.  If you have not m/c naturally by then and there is still no hb, schedule the D&C.  

I am all for m/c naturally if at all possible however in my case, my hcg kept rising and there was no bleeding, as in my previous pregnancies....no cramping, nothing.  My Dr advised me it could take several weeks to actually miscarry and again because it was our 3rd loss, we just couldn't handle the pain and grief any longer.  We need the closure and to face our future of possibly only 1 child....

Well, as you can see, My God blessed me with my 2nd child in 2007....so I'm sure you will be blessed again too.
Helpful - 0
Hi sweetie, I was right there last year, I was 9 weeks pregnant and at my 1st ultrasound it was determinded my baby did not have a heartbeat. My dr. did inform me something may be wrong, or the baby was in a position where the hb would not have been heard but told me he was going to check my hcg levels and that would determinde the answer. My 1st hcg levels were great so we had hope however in 2 days they dropped dramtically so I knew it wasn't a viable pregnancy. I myself, however was not going to wait to have a miscarriage so I did have a d&c. I waited 3 months, and then the 4th month I became pregnant again and I had my beautiful baby boy on April 17th this year. So hang in there, This site was very helpful to me and another one I believe its called misdiagonsed miscarriages that helped me to. I had no idea but these things happen and we will never know.. god bless and good luck.

Kelly
Helpful - 0
You have given me so much hope, thank you very much.  I am hoping to schedule another u/s at the end of next week (9.5 weeks) and a final if no bleeding before I schedule the D&C.  Bless you.
Helpful - 0
I keep going to misdiagnosedmiscarriage.com and I see that tens of thousands have been misdiagnosed.  I am not ready to give up as it took me 2 years to get pregnant, and I don't know how long it will take me again.  Though I have a feeling that they're right, and this one didn't take, I want to be 100% sure, and put my mind at ease.  As I still have pregnancy symptoms, I don't rest easily.  They did not offer to take my hcg's, even at the initial blood test to test for my pregnancy.  But rest assure, I will be doing everything through the coming weeks to make sure that they're right.  With having so much trouble trying to concieve, I triple-check everything.  Thank you for your story, as you are a very strong woman and congrats on your beautiful baby boy.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health: Postpartum Community

STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.