Women's Health: Postpartum Community

Oligohydramnios

I am now 26weeks and 2 days pregnant. My last month of pregnancy was quiet stressful, because 1st of all the symptom of down syndrome at high risk was discovered in a blood test, So my Dr. suggested me for the sonography. Though in sonography everything was observed normal except polyhydraminios. But still my Dr. was not sure of Down syndrome so she suggested me for amniocentensis test. I had a test. later on  report of fish test came which says that there is nothing wrong and everything is normal. Now the culture test of the above is awaited. Yesterday I went for my routine checkup. My Dr. did the sonography and they found that now I am having adequate amniotic fluid. thus they are wondering how can the fluid may reduced from 26.8cm to 10.4cm in this month. can anyone help me out to come from this tension. I myself is also wondering that how can 16.4cm fluid can reduce in one month. Is it just a normal or its a symptom of something abnormality.
Hi!

First of all, there can be a reading error by the ultrasonologist.

If the ultrasound measurement of the amniotic fluid index (AFI) is less than 5cm, this is considered as low leve of amniotic fluid. To treat this, you have to find the cause. The causes can be fetal or maternal. Fetal causes include bilateral renal agenesis (Potter's syndrome, kidneys not formed), polycystic kidneys, or obstruction to genitourinary system. Maternal causes include dehydration, uteroplacental insufficiency, or use of angiotensin converting enzyme. Cause can also be idiopathic or no cause. Ultrasound can detect most of these abnormalities. Usually increasing mother's fluid intake by mouth or through intravenous route improves the amniotic fluid level. Chances of fetal abnormalities are high. If no abnormalities are detected, then the pregnancy can carry forward and you can give birth to a normal baby.  Please discuss you’re your doctor. Take care!