Women's Health: Postpartum Community

PREGNANCY, DRUG ABUSE AND CHILD SAFETY

Does drug abuse have any effects  on pregnancy and the safety of the baby?What are such effects?
From most studies that I have read on the internet.  Some drugs may cause substantial effects to the fetus and some don't other than the baby has withdrawls when they are born.  The doctor should be aware of the drugs that are being used for then they can treat the babies withdrawl symptoms at the time of birth.  I know there are times when people just can not stop taking the drugs due to addiction, but for the health of the baby and future helath as they grow up try and quit would be a good message to pass along.
YES, I don't really know where to begin, the unborn baby is the victim. This can include the infant having a dependence to the drug & many other compl.  Any drug abuse that is known in advance by the DR may be able to help the unborn infant.
I work for a social service agency and i can tell you from first hand experience that drugs can have many many BAD effects on a baby.  
it can be so mild as a drug dependancy at birth which will cause the baby withdrawl (severe crying for several months after birth).  not to mention that if your child has drugs in his/her system at birth Child protective services WILL REMOVE your child from your care and you will not be allowed to take that baby home.

The extreme result of drug use during pregnancy can be physical malformations such as organ development, cleft lip/palate, mental retardation, death, blindness, deafness, cerebral palsy, spina bifida, etc...  ESPECIALLY if the heavy drug use is during the first 12 weeks of pregnancy when the brain and nervous system are forming.

You (or whoever) is basically ruining the CHILDS life by doing drugs while pregnant.  No child ever comes out of a drug involved pregnancy unharmed.  They have learning disabilities 99.9 percent of the time.

I see these kids every day and let me tell you.. it isnt easy to raise a baby that has been exposed to drugs in the uterus.
My aunt gave birth to a crack addicted baby.  He had low birth weight and was very irritable and easily over-stimulated.  He will be two soon and is healthy as can be.  He has the vocabulary of most kids at his development stage.  He is happy and socializing and has no learning disabilities thus far.  Time will tell but his struggle was in the very beginning of his life.  You just never know.
I have helped care for a newborn who was in withdrawl from his mother's drugs. That poor baby was in so much pain, and couldn't sleep or keep still. I also have worked with older "drug babies" of elementary school age. Many have severe hyperactivity, and learning disabilities. Of course as others have mentioned, the baby may also suffer from low birth weight, and get the worst possibe start in life. I assume you know a pregnant person who is abusing her body? Please tell her that she is abusing someone else too, and encourage her to get help quickly.
Can you be a little more specific? Are we talking about occasional marijuana use, or daily methamphetamine use? And how long into the pregnancy? 4 weeks? 4 months?

Obviously drug use is discouraged when you're pg, but we can't give you an accurate answer without more information.
ANY type of drug abuse can harm an unborn child. This is child abuse! I have seen the effects that drug abuse has done to an unborn child. I am a strong advocate of a womans right to choose, (there are other options). Children are not asked to be born, as GOOD parents, it is our responsibility to give them the proper start in life to ensure that they will be morally stable, educated and healthy adults. If a woman chooses to abuse her body, that is her choice, but you don't have the right to hurt an innocent child in the process.
As you can tell this is a really touchy subject to a lot of people.  I am going to tell you I do not do drugs, do not have the want to do them and do not really agree with them, but have had friends that do smoke weed.  One friend was really addicted when she became pregnant and it took her some time to "wean herself" if you will.  The doctor was aware of the situation and gave her specific instructions on how to do this and discussed possible risk however her little girl just turned 1 on the 25th of this month and is just as smart and beautiful as you could ask for.  However, I have a set of twin step-kids and their mother smoked, they are 8 and one is hyper with some problems in school so...............  I think it is abuse, but as long as the doctor is aware, maybe all would be ok.  Good luck to whomever is the topic of discussion, just please think about the innocent baby!
my uncles girlfriend used drugs and he did too .all 4 kids is slow , and on ridlin  medication.and the kids seeks some kind of councilors the come to the house when the last kids was born then the hospital decided to take the kids from her  the last child is 7 and hyper and bad and deformed too it its such a shame to use any drug if the child has to suffer these kids use half to watch them while you sleep  they are not to be trusted and its not there fault
I just wanted to clarify my answer. I'm not advocating ANY kind of drug use in pregnancy, whatsoever. I just wanted the original poster (who seems to have disappeared) to clarify the situation.
Sometimes, women post on here about recreational drug use before they knew they were pg. AS someone who works with drug addicts (many of whom are pg), I can tell you the answer depends on the type of drug, the frequency of use, and how far into the pregnancy the women was using. Obviously, it's not okay to use any drugs during pregnancy. I hate these vague questions, because we're talking about hundreds of possible scenarios here.  

Anyway,I just wanted everyone to know I'm not a pothead.
I don't know what the laws are in every state, but in Texas, they cannot arrest a mother who tests positive for drugs, or who's newborn tests positive. CPS can take custody of the baby, though, and then they conduct an investigation.

I think that's the procedure for most states, but I can't say for sure.