Women's Health: Postpartum Community

PROMETRIUM - Worried about taking it

I had an early miscarriage in May due to low progesterone. I was given Prometrium for after I ovulate. I started taking it on Saturday and then I went to the internet to research it.I see that many people on this site have benefited from it and have wonderful babies or good pregnancies. What I am worried about is the side effects. I am already a worrier and now I see that it causes it blood clots. In the past couple of days, I have had the feeling of pulled muscles in my legs and I am not sure if I am just being paranoid. I can't take asprin because I have asthma so if anyone has some great advice or reassurance, I would ever be so grateful.
I must say that I am for Prometruim because I feel that is what saved my last pregnancy. I had 2 previous miscarriages, one due to Down's Syndrome the other was low progesterone. At one of my first appts. with my last my progesterone was low again they immediatly put me on Prometruim and I delivered a healthy baby girl 6 months ago. Good luck to you. Also I had no problems with Prometruim, it just made me very sleepy so I took it before bed.
Tiffany
I am curerntly on Prometruim.  I think I have to take it until I am 12 weeks.  I have to check with my dr. for sure about this though.  Anyway - I am for it so far.  This could be what it helping my keep this one or not.  I dont know if I had low progesterone or not, she just put me on it as a precaution.  I hope it works for you.  I have to take it vaginally and I do it before I go to bed to avoid all that yucky discharge from it.
I am also on prometrium.  I am not at all worried about the side effects.  I am also on it just as a precaution, incase my progesterone was low.  And I have to say that so far so good and I'm 10 1/2 weeks prego.  Other things like birth control pills, and the patch also have warnings of blood clots, along with a lot of other medication.  But I would say that if you haven't had a problem in the past with blood clots I wouldn't worry about it.  I am also taking a baby aspirin every day.  Good luck:)
I am all for prometrium.  It got me through the first part of this pg.  I was on a higher dose, so it made me feel really gross.  But it does wonders for your pregnancy.  There is a slight risk of side effects.  But i'm pretty sure that the blood clots are associated with prolonged use.  I would check with your Dr. on that one.  The only side effect that i've been warned about is that it has been linked to cleft pallet in newborns.  But the chances of that are low as well.  

I would take the time to discuss your concerns with your Dr.  But I'm sure that if it were that terribly bad, there wouldn't be so many Dr's prescribing it to their patients.
Thank you for your thoughts. I agree with you - I guess I am just paranoid. I do have a call into my dr. to be safe. What if any side efects have any of you had?
The only real side-effects that i've noticed were that i got pretty sick...almost flu-like symptoms while i was on it. But, like i said, i was on a higher dose...and the Dr. warned me that i probably wouldn't feel very well while i was on it.  Also...my hair got pretty dry....and my face broke put something terrible...but those could just be from pregnancy in general. Other than that...i didn't notice much at all.