Women's Health: Postpartum Community

Please Help! WE ALL NEED SOME SLEEP!!

My DD has had a chronic cough for a long time.  I posted yesterday about my ped. trying her on some allergy medicine.  Her lungs have been checked several times and they are clear.  She has some drainage, but it is all clear.  She feels great all day, but cannot sleep at night.  Last night she coughed from 1:00-3:30 a.m.  She was trying so hard to sleep and I feel so bad for her.  I know there are no infant cough medicines available, but does anyone have any home remedy that might help.  I have tried the vaporizer, head elevated, nasal drops, vicks.  The pharmacist did say that it might take a few days to see an improvement from the allergy medicine, but last night was really bad.  
Poor baby! Are you sure there isn't anything else going on..... like reflux?
She doesn't seem like it hurts and she never spits up.  Wouldn't that be happening if she had reflux?  
Yes, more than likely. Give the medication a couple of more days. I feel for you.
My son had the same exact thing, and it turned out to be RSV. he was 5 months old then. Now he has the cough again at 6 months, so we are back on breathing treatments. I know exactly what you are going through!!! We triee EVERYTHING before we brought him to the hospital,and nothing worked. I would have them check for RSV if the allergy medicine doesnt work. Good luck!
RSV is one thing that I am really worried about.  That is why I have taken Anna to the doctor 3 different times for the same cough.  They always say her lungs are clear and have never even mentioned RSV to me.  She feels fine during the day and is eating well.  She has no fever and isn't seeming to have trouble breathing.  Do you think she could still have RSV?  My reason for not going back to the doctor is that where I live, flu and a serious stomach virus are really bad.  I don't want to take her in and expose her to those things unless absolutely necessary.
Well Evans RSV started out like a normal cold, so we didnt think anything of it. We were doing everything we could to try to get rid of it, but it got worse. One day he woke up and started wheezing. We took him to the hospital, and sure enough he had it. His turned into Bronchilitis then he had 3 ear infections from it.  He was eating fine, and was happy so thats why we thought it was just a cold w/ a stuffy nose. If her condition worsens definately bring her in.
I took my daughter in for a bad cough two weeks ago, her lungs were clear, but her cough was horrible and her nose was running completely clear.  They said she had RSV, they could either suck some snot out and test it and tell me she has RSV, or just tell me she has it and the treatment will be the same - her cough was also barky (croup like) at night, so she told me to wrap her up and sit outside and let her breathe in the cold air.  I hope its not RSV, but if it is a mild case and isnt in her lungs and she is eating and drinking ok, they probably wont do anything anyway.
She needs a nebulizer,( NOT SURE IT I SPELLED IT RIGHT).  My dauther had that for several months, was fine during the day but would cough at night and neither one of us would sleep.  I tried it all until her pediatrician suggested a nebulizer.  You should call her dr and ask, i'm pretty sure she'll do so much better after that.
Could she be allergic to something in her room or crib.  see if there are any blankets or clothing with down in them.  Wool can also trigger alot of allergies.
I would take the possibility of RSV very seriously and have her tested.  I am on the downward from both of our twin boys having RSV.  Brodie ended up being taken by ambulance to the ER and was in PICU for 4 days.  He turned blue on us while eating due to not being able to breath very well.  He was on breathing treatments for those 4 days as well as oxygen and all kinds of monitors.  

Braedon's case wasn't as severe and we just had to treat him at home - using saline to suction out his nose every 3 hours.

It's worth having the test done - as it's been 2 weeks now and we are still dealing with it on a minor basis.  However, they are both going for their 1st RSV vaccination tomorrow.  I'm not taking anymore chances.  
She slept all night!!!  My pediatrician called me last night and told me that with all the sypmtoms I told him, he doesn't think Anna has any signs of RSV.  It sounds like she just has a bad cold.  He said they have seen so many cases of flu and RSV that he doesn't want me to bring her in the office unless I feel it extremely necessary.  He recommended vicks, vaporizers and a plug in thing from Pediacare that puts vapors in the room.  I tried it all before, but something helped last night because she slept all night and didn't cough once!!  I feel so much better about things now.  She was so happy this morning!  Thanks for all your comments.  I appreciate all the advice.
Great, I hope she continues to do well!
I'm glad she is doing better.  I just wanted to jump in too and say I didn't think it sounded like RSV.  Cameron just had it again not even 2 weeks ago and it doesn't hit just at night.  It's awful and he was choking and gagging.  His airway gets really bad and he was sweating lust working so hard to breathe.  It affects kids differently, and some worse than others, but he has a really reactive airway and has had it several times along with all the other good stuff.  It can actually take up to a week to get the full effect of the meds.  I would just keep her head elevated, sounds more like draining if it bothers her at night when she lays down and that's it.    Hope she stays well!
I think there is a cold going around that just lingers.  My dd had a cough for a long time too and it was not RSV.  

She was just diagnosed with Asthma last week and the pulminologist said that may have been why her cough lasted so long during her recent cold.  So I got a little answer to it but it is hard.