Women's Health: Postpartum Community

Postpartum Depression

I saw Stacie30 mention she had been diagnosed with PPD recently.  It is so weird, because I was just discussing this topic with friends yesterday and I feel like I may have a slight case.  My son is 7 months old.  I just have days when all I want to do is cry.  At first I thought it may be the fact that I dont get to spend as much time with him during the day as I would like, but Stacie, do you mind telling me how you were diagnosed?  If this is what is causing my "bad days" I would like to take the steps necessary to control it.  Thanks.
The first thing to do is NOT listen to Tom Cruise.  Go talk to your OB.  My sister also had PPD, she was diagnosed fairly soon after the birth.  She was placed on anti-depressants and they really helped even out her moods!

You are NOT alone!  The first step is recognizing the signs.

Good luck!
The new Cosmo Dec issue out right now has an article on PPD. It is very informative you may want to check it out.
They say in the magazine that any time depression lasts 2 weeks after birth you should consult with someone.
and...don't waste time discussing it with your DR b/c most meds take about 1 month to really be effective.  The longer you wait to get help, the longer you will feel this way.  I had PPD severely after my 2nd child, and cried all day long every day for months.  It impacted my bonding with my child-until I got help.  It is a real issue, and please get help.
Thanks.
do you have any other symptoms? muscle cramps, cold all the time?? I had this and was dx with hypothyroidism 5 months after my son was born...ALOT of women get thyroid disorders after giving birth but are not dx because the symptoms are closley related to what you get after giving birth anyways..just a little more extreme....most women that get it go on meds for awhile but then it regulates itself and no more meds...not me though...lol....I have a family history of hypothyroidism so I will more than likely be on meds the rest of my life....ask your dr to check your thyroid levels..it's a simple blood test...HTH
Hypothyroidism has the same symptoms as ppd?  I didnt know that.  What were your symptoms?  I just get really emotional at times (like pms times 1 million).  I miss my baby horribly, and I cry at the drop of a hat.  This is why I thought it may be PPD.