Women's Health: Postpartum Community

Postpartum Depression

I saw Stacie30 mention she had been diagnosed with PPD recently.  It is so weird, because I was just discussing this topic with friends yesterday and I feel like I may have a slight case.  My son is 7 months old.  I just have days when all I want to do is cry.  At first I thought it may be the fact that I dont get to spend as much time with him during the day as I would like, but Stacie, do you mind telling me how you were diagnosed?  If this is what is causing my "bad days" I would like to take the steps necessary to control it.  Thanks.
The first thing to do is NOT listen to Tom Cruise.  Go talk to your OB.  My sister also had PPD, she was diagnosed fairly soon after the birth.  She was placed on anti-depressants and they really helped even out her moods!

You are NOT alone!  The first step is recognizing the signs.

Good luck!
The new Cosmo Dec issue out right now has an article on PPD. It is very informative you may want to check it out.
They say in the magazine that any time depression lasts 2 weeks after birth you should consult with someone.
and...don't waste time discussing it with your DR b/c most meds take about 1 month to really be effective.  The longer you wait to get help, the longer you will feel this way.  I had PPD severely after my 2nd child, and cried all day long every day for months.  It impacted my bonding with my child-until I got help.  It is a real issue, and please get help.
Thanks.
do you have any other symptoms? muscle cramps, cold all the time?? I had this and was dx with hypothyroidism 5 months after my son was born...ALOT of women get thyroid disorders after giving birth but are not dx because the symptoms are closley related to what you get after giving birth anyways..just a little more extreme....most women that get it go on meds for awhile but then it regulates itself and no more meds...not me though...lol....I have a family history of hypothyroidism so I will more than likely be on meds the rest of my life....ask your dr to check your thyroid levels..it's a simple blood test...HTH
Hypothyroidism has the same symptoms as ppd?  I didnt know that.  What were your symptoms?  I just get really emotional at times (like pms times 1 million).  I miss my baby horribly, and I cry at the drop of a hat.  This is why I thought it may be PPD.
it probably is PPD but it would probably be a good idea to get your thyroid checked too...
Hope you feel better gonza
Lots of women go through this at different stages after the birth of their child
Yes, I agree. Definitely talk to your doctor. You OB should be able to refer you to a specialist who can help you work through it. There are also tons of support groups out there for women with PPD. A dear friend suffered from PPD with both of her children, but was too ashamed to admit it with her firts, by the time she came around, she was bordering on PP Psychosis. I often wonder if she had sought treatment sooner, if things would have been different.

Good luck in finding an effective treatment. DOn't give up if your first attempts don't work. I am sure thye will find a solution, it just might take some time.

I am no where near being that far depressed.  I just get really down some days and cry.  I will probably put a call in to my doc and see what she thinks.  Thanks everyone.
Dedicating an hour or half a day to reading your bible and praying for God to take it away will also work.  (Better than meds)

They insisted my progesterone levels were not high enough for me to conceive, but I prayed over my stomach and had others to pray.  If fasted and God answered with positive test and normal progesterone levels.

Have faith like a grain of mustard seed and all things will be possible.  I will pray for you!
WOW, thanks.  I think that is great advice.  I learned more from you in that one statement than in a lifetime.  You are such a peach.
Im going to pray tonight for you gonza and myself too.
God Bless
Thanks Blondie. I will!
I hope all is well with you ladies, you and manage to get the proper treatment. I tell you now adays too many people go untreated, don't you agree stacie??
what are you talking about? seriously- I don't understand your sentence. no malice intended.
oH I'M SO SORRY I ADDED AN EXTRA WORD IN . ALL I WAS SAYING, WAS THAT I HOPED EVERYONE GOT THE PROPER TREATMENT BECAUSE TOO MANY PEOPLE GO UNTREATED, I THOUGHT YOU COULD RELATED TO THAT STACIE.
GET THE PIC, I CERTAINLY DID EARLIER. THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH FOR POINTING THAT OUT TO ME, SORRY BUT I'M GOING TO STEAL YOUR WORD
YOU ARE SUCH A PEACH AND I'LL BET A PRETTY PIC TOO. SLEEP TIGHT SWEETIE, HOPE YOU PPD DOSEN'T GET TOO BAD. I HAVE HEARD OF PEOPLE DOING HORRIBLE THINGS WHEN THEY AREN'T TREATED PROPERLY. EXCUSE MISTAKES SWEETIE.:)
I'm sorry. I have no idea what you are talking about. Really. Did I miss something?
OH SWEETIE I'M SURE YOU DIDN'T MISS A THING. HAVE A WONDERFUL EVENING, TAKE CARE OF YOU:)
What is going on here??? Did I miss something??
I did not know that about the thyroid thing.   I have not wanted to cry a whole lot lately but I do feel a lot of anxiety.  I had my thyroid checked once before but all seemed to be ok I wonder if I should have it looked at again.  PPD can be a scary thing from the sounds of it.  I hope you can get help if that is what it is and Stacie I am so glad to hear you are doing much better.  Keep it up.  Take Care ladies
No. I don't mind at all.

I had a little "episode" at work. I've been under a lot of stress (they saved the majority of the work for me from when I was out) since I went back. Well, my boss was hashing on me over a file and I just lost it. I had to go to the bathroom because I started crying and couldn't stop. I ended up going home and didn't stop crying for a little over 4 hours. It was a nightmare. So, I went online and read the symptoms of PPD and I had several. Trouble concentrating, uncontrollable crying, tearfulness, anxiety, increase/loss of appetite, inability to focus, racing thoughts etc. so I made an appointment with my OB/GYN and he confirmed it. I started taking the pills a little while ago and have been totally happy since. I mean, nothing gets to me. I'm so mellow. It's awesome.

Anyhow, I hope if you are going through this you are able to get help with it. I feel so much better since I did.

Stacie
have you taken an HPT recently? maybe you're pregnant! :) That would explain your attitude change lately. As for your morse code  stuff- I truly have no clue what you are talking about. What happened? and what's with the caps? are you mad about something?
Your sarcasm is obvious.

It isn't humorous to joke about PPD. Many women have had it on this forum and though you intend your comments to a certain person, You are most certainly insulting others. I have no idea why you are so angry, but I think it's time to get over it and be helpful.

Your intent of "harm" is disturbing.