Pressure migraine from a blood patch?

Hello All,

My wife and I just had our first baby back on Thursday of last week.

While in the hospital, she had received an epidural that did not take however the second did. That night, she began receiving the typical signs of pain related to a spinal headache that is sometimes a side effect from the epidural due to a puncture.

The hospital gave her prescription medication to ease the pain however not only did it not work, it also upset her stomach so she opted to stop taking it. They also tried the long cue-tips soaked in a liquid pain killer(two different kinds on separate occasions) which also did nothing.

She's very good about staying hydrated and she's also been drinking coffee for the caffeine and still the only way she's been able to find relief is laying totally flat.

Last night(72 hours) after the intitial signs showed their face, we returned to the hospital to discuss getting a blood patch. While in the hospital the team of anesthesiologists never made us feel confident in the blood patch procedure which was why she never had it done while she was staying there after delivering.

The blood patch was performed last night and we wake up this morning to a different type of headache. Now it feels like a pressure migraine and she appears to now be sensitive to light and sound and laying flat no longer helps like it had before the blood patch.

I've given her some ibuprofen, gotten her an ice pack, a nice big glass of water and the room is dark and quiet(our baby girl is fantastic). So far her headache seems to have dulled but is still very much showing it's ugly head.

Is there anyone out there that can lend some advice? It breaks my heart to see her in such pain and unable to enjoy her time with our baby because she's in so much pain. She also has lost confidence in the hospital and doesn't want to be subjected to being a human pinch cushion anymore.

Thank you so much to whoever reads this and reaches out!

Regards,
Rob
Hi Rob, I’m so sorry to hear about your wife! After having my 3rd baby I had crazy migraines, sensitivity to light and sound, feeling like I was walking on a boat. Symptoms got better but didn’t completely go away when lying flat. Doctors didn’t think it was from the epidural, but I always wondered. Over time, the symptoms subsided. Peppermint oil behind the ears helped take the edge off. I would give it some more time and make sure she rests as much as possible. Also, fresh air and sunlight worked wonders for me for some reason. Artificial light made me worse. I wish I had all the answers, but it will get better with time. Hugs to your wife and new baby. It’s so hard to enjoy your child when you feel like this. :(

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health: Postpartum Community