Aa
A
A
A
Close
Women's Health: Postpartum Community
26.1k Members

Question about Provera

So i go to the dr today because i haven't had a af since august, and I found out im not preggers. :(    I went off the bc pill in july(trying to concieve now!),so my dr believes im not ovulating due to hormonal in-balance, so she is putting me on Provera. I've never used it before! if anyone has, can you fill me in on such things as: What are the side effects? How bad is your af after using the ten day cycle? Im afraid to take it, and i know i have to, but i want some knowledge about it from people who have had to use it before! Help!
4 Responses
I took Provera (progesterone) for 7 days and did not notice any side effects.  After you stop taking it, you should have a period within 3-10 days.  If not, it means your body is not producing enough estrogen, so you may be put on a estrogen/progesterone regimen until your periods are back to normal.

I would not worry about taking Provera. But definitely talk to your Dr. if you concerned about side effects.
Thanks for the feedback, i just never like to walk blindly into taking a medication.  :)
I stopped my BC in August of 2005 because hubby and I decided to TTC.  Well I didnt have AF and most likely it was due to me previously being on Depo Provera in 2004 and BC pills.  So in December 2005 my Dr gave me provera.  I took it for 7 days 10mg and I got AF 2 days later...usually you get AF anywhere 3 to 10 days after the last pill.  Well in Jan 06 still no AF since the one in Dec.  So I again took Provera, same dosage.  Well in Feb still no AF and I took a HPT and got a BFP! My periods were a little heavier than they were when I was on BCP's and I had more cramping, but I never had cramping before BCP's or when I normally had AF.
6741111 tn?1384671675
Hi everyone this is my second month on Provera, I've never had a period on my own its always been medically induced I guess you can say, last month I started my ten day dose and nothing happened. Its been almost a year since my last period, so I was thinking maybe its just me idk. Well this month so far nothing still, breast tenderness and some bloating, but I don't know why the provera wouldn't work now as it always has, any suggestions ladies. Thank you
Popular Resources
From skin changes to weight loss to unusual bleeding, here are 15 cancer warning signs that women tend to ignore.
Here’s what you need to know about the transition into menopause – and life after the change takes place.
It’s more than just the “baby blues.“ Learn to recognize the signs of postpartum depression – and how to treat it.
Forget the fountain of youth – try flossing instead! Here are 11 surprising ways to live longer.
From STD tests to mammograms, find out which screening tests you need - and when to get them.
Find out if PRP therapy right for you.