A
A
A
Close
Women's Health: Postpartum Community
26.1k Members
177465 tn?1288242063

Re-thinking baby's name! Opinions?

OK. So, we started out wanting this baby to be Alexander (Lex for short--Max and Lex). Then I read that Alexander is the #6 name in the US right now, so we switched to Owen Gregory. But, I just keep thinking that I still like Alexander. DH is NO help and likes them both equally as well. Which would you pick?
20 Responses
Forget the Alexander and just go with Lex Charles.
121828 tn?1333468091
I love Owen. I wanted my Blake to be an Owen but I thought it was too popular at the time :)
177465 tn?1288242063
I'm not in love with Lex (that's dh's nickname)--I LOVE Alexander! But I also love Owen, so I'm stuck in a rutt!
280369 tn?1316705641
I love the name Alexander. If we have a boy this time, his middle name will be Alexander. I don't pay attention to what's popular or not. If I like a name, I stick with it (for the most part!) =)
177465 tn?1288242063
I just have an issue with the popularity thing because my first name is Jessica. I graduated with 7 other Jessica's. Sooooooooooo, I don't want something that everyone has already. But, I'm scoping out the local hospital baby board weekly and so far we're ok! lol
280369 tn?1316705641
Yea I know what you mean, Jessica is still pretty popular. I know at least 3 Jessicas.
lol..so maybe you will be able to stick with Alexander afterall, if it doesn't all of a sudden become too popular. We like biblical names, and they are not always popular. Unless it's a name like Rebecca...My husband loves the name I'm on the fence about it, but I have 3 friends with that name and I hear it all the time now. I couldn't do that to my daughter (if I have one) lol...so I know what you mean!
i love alexander. its my second DS middle name.
175662 tn?1282217256
OMG Ruby!  When is that baby due again?  :)  We are kicking around some name ideas already but DH is being of no help either and says its bad luck to have a name so early.... Bleh, I am just so excited as I am sure you are.

801496 tn?1262578977
you can go to the social security website and they list all the most popular baby names for the last 100 years. It's a great way to check out the popularity of a name over time.
719902 tn?1334168783
I like Alexander, but I LOVE Xander or Zander.  Or, as someone else said, you could just go with Lex.
176741 tn?1295237589
Well, I think I'd pick Owen.  I like the sound of Max and Owen better than Max and Alex.  Maybe that isn't a good reason, though...?
I voted Alexander, but what about combining? Alexander Owen?

Not a fan of Gregory or Charles....but I do love Alexander (That was in the running for names if we had a boy, though GAbriel was tops. Still will be if we ever decide to have another and have a boy) and I do LOVE Owen. That is what I would go with...

Lex, I would not use for a nickname. It reminds me of that villian, what it from superman or , maybe wrestling, lol?? Lex Luger....Anyway that is what I thought of. Also, Alexa, Alexis, and ALexia are all popular girls names right now and I often here people w/ those names 'Lex" or "Lexi"...(One of my friends has a dd named Alexis and that is what she calls her, Lex)
I love the name Owen right now, It is one of our top picks....Owen Matthew....Love it!!
167 tn?1374177417
Or Owen Alexander!
I really like the ring of Owen Alexander.   My daughter used this site below looking for a name. She had a girl and went with " Courtney Lin " now 4, who is learning to print it.
The right name will come to you.  When are you due?

http://parenting.ivillage.com/pregnancy/babynames/finder
My middle name is spelled Jessica, but my mom came over from Ireland. So my name is pronounced  Jess-seek-ah. So the pronunciation can change a name too.
177465 tn?1288242063
We'll definitely be keeping the middle names---Gregory is my dad and Charles is my grandfather who passed away, so no switching those up. I don't like Alex for a nickname (because I know alot of them) and we have friends with a Xander---and he's bound to be called one or the other by somebody, so I think we may just stick with Owen.
177465 tn?1288242063
Funny...over a year later coming back to read this. We went with both middle names that I had posted: Charles Gregory...Charlie for short! And it fits him to a T. :)
167 tn?1374177417
Hi rubyolivia! ;) I was just looking for a "like" button for your comment. Der...

I love the name you picked! You thought you would just stick with Owen, hehe! I still wonder if you secretly hated me for even considering the name Owen! Still can't believe we had our boys a day apart! Also still can't believe they will be one in less than 3 weeks. Time flies, and this time I am not wanting to let go of my baby, but it seems they are nearly toddlers now ):
202436 tn?1326477933
I like Owen Alexander
Popular Resources
From skin changes to weight loss to unusual bleeding, here are 15 cancer warning signs that women tend to ignore.
Here’s what you need to know about the transition into menopause – and life after the change takes place.
It’s more than just the “baby blues.“ Learn to recognize the signs of postpartum depression – and how to treat it.
Forget the fountain of youth – try flossing instead! Here are 11 surprising ways to live longer.
From STD tests to mammograms, find out which screening tests you need - and when to get them.
Find out if PRP therapy right for you.