Women's Health: Postpartum Community

Reactive Airway Disease

I just took my 3 month old to the doctor and was told he has Reactive Airway Disease.  This is my first child and I have never heard of this before.  I understand it is something like asthma.  Anyone who knows about this please let me know what I have to look forward to...if this type of thing continues or if there is something I can do to help cure it or at least relieve him of some of the symptoms.  Still no clue what caused it.  But wondering what all it entails.

Thank you!!
My 10 month old DD has it as well.  Hers is brought on by a virus....just a cold that ends up in her chest causing the RAD.  Others can be brought on by allergies.  Do you know what triggered it for him?  How did they treat it?  Is he on meds now?

My dd has been hospitalized twice for it - just a day in the hospital one time and the other was just a trip to the ER.  Since uses the nebulizer quite frequently - just about any time she gets a cold now.  Just recently our dr put her on a preventative course of meds - a steroid nebulizer at night and also Singulair.  We are going to do that until April and see if she needs to continue that past the winter season.

My oldest dd (now 3) had RSV as an infant.  She also needed breathing treatments everytime she got a cold.  She probably had RAD as well, but was never dianosed with it.  She has certainly outgrown the worst of it.  I can't remember the last time she had to have a breathing treatment.  *knocks on wood*

RAD can lead to asthma...but you can't test for asthma until he is at least 4 years old.  RAD can also completely clear itself.  I'm hoping for the best for my youngest.

I hope that helps you understand it a bit better.  Where do you live?  Are you in for a long winter?  I think it is worst in the cold months...at least it was for both of my girls.  If it starts up again, she your doctor right away.  The earlier you start treatment for it, the faster and easier it goes away.

I wish you and your son the best!  
My first son outgrew his, he had pneumonia at 11 weeks, RSv shortly after, and his RAD acted up soooo much in between.  He also went to the hospital for it once.  It was bad and with the family history on my DH's side they didn't think he would outgrow it, but around 3 he did.  I just had to start nebbing him for a bad cold, but it's been over a year since I last had to, he has been great.  Little one is just 10 months old and has it too.  Had RSV at 10 weeks the first time.  They may test for asthma around 2 if there's family history, but they like to wait till they are older.  He has been going through a rough time now and we neb a lot.  He sees a pulmonogist and he's on Singulair, Flovent 220 (steroid inhaler) and nebbed as needed.  We are hoping once we get past cold & flu season it will get better.  Like the above gal said, lots of things can set it off.  Poor little Cam, anything he gets goes straight to his chest.  Just be sure to keep on eye on your little one and call the Dr. when there is a change, we also neb anytime he gets tight or wheezy.  It's pretty common in little ones and especially this time of year.  I hope your little one feels better, just keep up the nebbing.