Recurrent fever in 3 year old boy

My three year old grandson has been having recurrent fevers occurring punctually every thirty days. They typically last between three and four days and will elevate to 106 degrees if he doesn't have tylenol alternating with ibuprofen every three hours. Does anybody have any idea what could be causing this? Usually there are no other symptoms besides lack of appetite and sleepiness when the fever starts to rise.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
My sisters little girl had this EVERY 28-30 days.  I can't remember the name and she wont answer her phone. As soon as she calls back I'll re-post!  This went on for MONTHS until she had her tonsils out. It has never happened again.  I want to say periodic fever, but then again maybe not. The no appetite could be from a sore throat? Does he have throat problems when you take him to the dr.?
Helpful - 0
It's a form of periodic fever known as PFAPA
Helpful - 0
Carson would get them in the evening, not as high & for longer periods, they would go for a week or 2 at a time & he would wake up fine the next day.  I was never given a diagnosis, was told sometimes kids do that by our peds office.  There was nothing that seemed to be tied in & it finally went away on it's own for no reason.  There was another kid at daycare who did this too when he was around that age as well.  She had told me it happens & not to worry, just treat it & keep an eye for anything different.  She's a pharmacist, so I took her advice.  I still called the peds office anyway, ya never know.  Hope it passes, sounds scary that it jumps high like that.
Helpful - 0
fevers are nothing to worry about! Yes at that high you need the meds but fevers are the bodies natural reponce to infection or fight away something. It could be an allergy that builds up and then goes into override, allergies that make the fluid levels in the ear higher, lot sof things. Now some fevers are ok not to give meds for as the fever helps the body fight it and if it can't it will heppen over and over and the fevers get higher as a naural responce to fight it. Are you sure it was not casued by a vaccine? That can do it! Also kids can try to fight allergies to things and the body just give up then be ok then it starts all over again. Is there something he is expossed to once a month, house animal, tree even! Anything If it is not a bacterial infection you will have to let it run its course as no antibiotic will help it! Hope you figure it out for the little guy!
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health: Postpartum Community

STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.