Women's Health: Postpartum Community

Rh- expectant mother, first pregnancy, father's blood type unknown.

I'm presently in the 12th week of my first pregnancy, and have just learned that my blood type is AB-.  My physician tells me that I will need to receive a Rhogam shot at my 28th week of pregnancy as a standard procedure for an Rh- mother, UNLESS the baby's father is also Rh-.  My dilemma lies in that I am not in contact with my baby's father, nor do I wish to be unless it is absolutely necessary in making sure that I am taking all proper measures to ensure the health of my child.
Do I NEED to know his blood type?  Or can I safely receive the Rhogam injection as prescribed without any health risks being posed to my possibly Rh+ baby?
All help is appreciated, thank you.
You need to contact him.  If the father has a postitive blood type you will need the shot.  If not it could be very dangerous for your baby.  I completely understand not wanting to have contact with a man, but this is for your baby's safety.
Thank you, I appreciate the information.
If you can't contact him, they will give you the shot anyway.  There is no harm in receiving it, even if he is negative.  The harm lies in not getting it, if he is positive and your baby is subsequently found to be positive.  

I have also have the negative factor in my blood.  I just had my Rhogam shot yesterday.   I am a little over 28 weeks.  I'm not sure of my hubbies blood type.  They never checked it.  I had the same shot with my first two pregnancies and all turned out good.  From my experience, I wouldn't stress.  Just get the shot at 28 weeks.  It has worked for me.
Perfectly safe and absolutely necessary.  If you didn't get the shot you can build up antibodies that could mean serious problems for any children you have in the future.  

I have 2 kids, one on the way and have had two mc.  I had rhogam with all my pregnancies.  Just had my big shot for this baby last week.

You do not need to contact the father if you do not want to.  
I would personally just get the shot. I just found out yesterday at my visit that I'm also RH-, and my doctor just told me that I'll need the shots. She didn't ask to know the father's blood type, and just said that it's better to be safe than sorry and assume that the father has a positive blood type.
More than likely you dont need to contact him to find his blood type out I found out I had RH- blood when I had my first miscarriage and have had the rhogam shot after I miscarried then I had it again when I got pregnant with my daughter then another one after delivery...its perfectly safe but its better to get it
I am Rh negative too.  My husband has no desire to get his blood drawn to be typed...he likes to leave all the needle poking in my arena.  So sweet of him...as if giving birth isnt enough.  So after my m/c I got the Rhogham shot and with my new pregnancy I will get one at wk 28 or if I bleed at all during pregnancy and then after delivery.  
Im RH negative, and my bf does not know his blood type. I am still getting the shot in 2 weeks.
You may want to be in contact with the child's donor just so you have the family history and medical information you may need in the future. I'm sure this won't be the only time you have a question. However, for this particular situation, you don't need to know for sure. I'm O- and my hubby is B+, so I had the rhogam with my first child. No big deal, barely feel the needle, all turned out well. Just make sure you get the shot if you don't find out the father's blood type. And I wouldn't just ask him either, because he may not know for sure. If you're unable to verify his blood type, just get the shot.