STAY HOME WHEN YOURE SICK!! rant

My 18 year old daughters friend spent the night a few nights ago. While she was here, I could tell she was sick. She was coughing a lot, sounded congested, and even asked me for Nyquil. I said, "Are you sick?" in a slightly irritated voice--trying to let her know I didn't appreciate her coming to my home when sick---she tried to tell me it was a little relapse of mono that ISN"T contagious.
Well, my poor DH got very sick yesterday. SAME sounding cough. And a fever of 101. My daughter admitted that, yes, the friend had a fever too.And now, I have a horrible sore throat, and the same cough. And the WORST, is poor little Jameson has the cough too. He could hardly sleep last night. He slept SO fitfully because he kept coughing and is all congested.

I AM SOOOOO MAD!!!!! DON'T come around me or my family if you are SICK!!!!!!!!!

My DH and I said, "What---now we gotta ask if our kid's friends are sick first when our kids ask if friends can come over, because they don't have the SENSE to stay home if they are sick???"
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
oh no, Im sorry about how your family is feeling! Ive never heard of a case of Mono that wasnt contagious! I could be wrong though, I dont know. I would be irritated too.
Helpful - 0
Yes Mono is very contagious!! She should have never came to your house-I am not sure why anyone would want to if they were that sick!! What did her parents say?? Jenny, I hope you and your family are feeling much better soon!!
Helpful - 0
Well she just moved back here to go to college, so she lives on her own in an apartment. Because I would HOPE if she lived with her mother, that her mother would not have let her go out.
I need to research mono. Now I am worried.
Helpful - 0
I would be very irritated too! Young ppl ever seem to think how they could be affecting others. I am always conscience about how my kids are when they are sick. I never let them around others if they are. I hate that too! One of my newer friends (from down the street) brought her kids over this winter to play w/ my girls and they were coughing an had snot just pouring out of their noses into their mouths. Not only was I disgusted by this (I hate when kids have runny nose and their mothers don't do a thing to wipe them!) But 2 days later I had one cranky sick baby and a miserable toddler! That bugs me!

I really hope you guys dont have mono!
Helpful - 0
Thanks ladies.You know, it takes a lot to irritate me. But THIS is one thing that really does. I appreciate all your good wishes. Hopefully we get better quick.:)
Helpful - 0
I would be highly p i s s e d if that was the case in our house. A healthy family is everything!! Does your daughters friend realize the impact of her visiting while she was ill?
Helpful - 0
When I had mono I was only tired and had swollen glands and mild fever.  I don't know about a cough, etc.  I do know that here in Jersey (not sure where you are) there is a horrible bug going round.  Fever, sore throat and horrible cough!!!  My girs were sick for almost 2 weeks and still recovering.  I am on my way to the docs cause I am starting with it.  At 18 I would think you should know better, but hey what do I know.  Good luck, don't wait go to docs (friend waited and daughter now has pnemnioa).
Helpful - 0
I don't think she realized it---I don't think it even crossed her mind. Yes I would think she should know better than to come to someones house SICK, especially when there is an infant in the home.But I guess she doesn't. I have felt SOOOOO c r a p p y all day. Sore throat, cough, and so tired. My poor baby can't quit coughing either...when he tries to sleep especially. I am so irritated about this. I don't have time to be sick. I am mother to seven!!! lol

110279hld----I don't think its mono cuz it said online that it takes 4-7 weeks to incubate in a person. So I wouldn't feel it this soon. I am just sick.But I will watch us and see what happens.Hopefully it won't require a Dr. visit.
Thanks again ladies.
Helpful - 0
Oh, I would be so mad, too. A household of seven plus two needs to run smoothly and that`s the last thing you needed. When my son was just a day old, my Dad-in-law had a super-evil cold but figured it would be good enough to turn his head away when he sneezed a hundred times. Sure enough both my son and I caught it within the first week -and I was so mad that our attempt to get the breastfeeding going was so hard with my son`s stuffy nose and my runny nose while being sleep deprived and hungry. Arrgh, common sense, where are you.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health: Postpartum Community

STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.