Short Femur at 19 weeks

Well this is my 5th child and I have never had any complications but when I went into the dr's office today they stated that the sonogram showed a short femur to head ratio.She said that it showed 18% which that means nothing to me. I asked about downs but she stated they would have seen other markers. My kids were all between 19-20 inches long. I am short and my hubby is too. I am losing sleep over this as I love this baby no matter what but I am so stressed out. Has this happened to anyone else? What was the outcome? She told me not to worry but motherly instict makes that impossible as I am an emotional wreck now.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
my friend was told late in her third trimester that her baby was a dwarf because her limbs measured too short. When she asked if there was any chance they were wrong, she was told she could hope for a miracle. they prepared for the worst and had every specialist under the sun on hand to deal with complications when the baby was born.  long, stressful story made short, her miracle was born perfectly normal. mom and dad are both petite, and baby is on the petite side too. But perfectly healthy and normal.
Helpful - 0
I was also told that my son had a short femur at his 34 week growth scan and when he was born he was perfectly normal in length. So I would try not to worry and just wait until you have more info. Good Luck
Helpful - 0
There are several women on this community who have had this sort of experience.  If the sonographer told you not to worry, then don't.

If she really felt there was a serious problem, then you'd have been told that you had something serious to worry about.
Helpful - 0
I was told too that our baby had one short femur - he was fine.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health: Postpartum Community

STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.