Women's Health: Postpartum Community

Stopping Breast Milk for my 5 month old

I have a 5 month old daughter and have been feeding her expressed breastmilk since birth.  I tried breast feeding dirctly, but was having a hard time.  I wanted her to get all the benefits of the breast milk so my husband and I made a decision to have me pump and feed her through the bottle for the first year.
The problem is that she is underweight- in the 25th percentile.  My husband blames me and says my breastmilk is the reason she is not gaining weght.  He makes me feel so guilty.  I am trying to do the best for her.  I had it with all his snide remarks about putting her on formula.  He would tell me it was because I wasn't eating properly and she wasn't getting the right nutrients or that my frozen milk was sour tasting.  
I found out that I have too much of a protein- lipase- and that when I freeze my milk it reacts and when thawed can cause a sour taste.  I confirmed with my pediatrcian and he said it was normal and continue the breastmilk.  It is the best for the baby.
I had two months of milk in the freezer and last night I threw it all away.  I spent the last five months pumping every 4-5 hours (even getting up in the middle of the night) just to have enough milk for my daughter all for my husband to come back and throw it in my face.
Should I feel bad about stopping the breastmilk?  Does anyone have the same protein problem with their breastmilke?
I don't have an issue with protein but I also exclusively breastfeed.
You can tell your husband that someone told you about their 6 months old daughter who is 20 pounds and who grows an average of 4 pounds per month.  She was born Sept 2 at 6 pounds 7 ounces and is wearing 18 month clothing.
Breast is best (if you can and if you want to).
nikki - it's hard to tell from your post whether your husband is being purposely hurtful,  or just worried and is trying to solve the problem of your daughter getting enough nutrition.

Breastfeeding is such an emotional issue - and when there's a problem, it seems so personal!  Maybe he's just suggesting what he thinks would be healthier for your daughter.

It sounds like you went to a LOT OF WORK to freeze all that breastmilk!  Wow.  I wonder if you could supplement with some foruma,  and express some milk and give it to her fresh every day?

Best wishes.
Thank You...We also have friends who have kids around the same age as our daughter and they were also on breastmilk and are growing fine...I am just so tired of arguing about this with him and constantly having him monitor my protein intake.  I gave in and just switched her over to formula yesterday.  I know it is not going to make a difference in her weight gain-she will eat what she wants when she wants, I am pretty small (127 pounds, 5 feet 8 inches) and think she will just take after me, but I can;t seem to convince him of that.
Gee, I don't feel so bad now.  On a different subject, you must be having the same problems I am.  DD is turning 5 months next Wednesday and is almost 19 lbs. I am having a heck of a time finding clothes that fit her and am embarassed to tell relatives not to buy cutsie outfits for her because at the rate she is going, who knows what size she will be in the springtime.  Her weight is all in her cheeks (she has like the fattest cheeks ever!  and her legs)

for Me2mommy2b...
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n303/LUVBRD/DD.jpg
Deep down I know he is not meaning to hurt me purposely, but I am at my wits end with this.  I went two weeks with just fresh milk to see if that makes a difference (between her three month and 3 1/2 month visit) and she only gained three ounce.  She is a very slow eater and was barely eating 14 ounces a day.  If I try to "force-feed" her she screams.  The doctor said that he is not that concerned because she is at least gaining weight and not losing it and she has no problem in the height department (75th percentile).
She has her 5 month well visit on Tuesday and I keep my fingers crossed that she broke the 13 pound mark.
I have a 1 year old son, that was exclusively breast fead until 6 months of age. And he averagely gained 1 pound a week. He has alwayes been in the 95%, even after I switched him over to formula. Also breast fead babies usually gain more weight that formula fead babies, so I would say that it is better that you were breast feading. Not to mention that it is much healthier than formula. A formula fead baby will usually have twice as many sicknesses than a breast fead baby, and it is known to increase their IQ. I would say that your baby is probably just taking after you, and the breast milk has helped her out more than if she were just on formula.