Women's Health: Postpartum Community

Stopping Vaccinations - Harmful?

I was curious if anyone knew- hypothetically, if your child has received 2 rotavirus vaccinations, and you opt to not have any more, does it hurt them to not have the full amount?  Why do they have several of the same ones anyway, such as the DTAP and that?  
it takes the body a while to develop antibodies to a lot of viruses. by giving boosters you give your body a chance to make the antibodies. (as per DH, a pharmacist)

DTAP- you really should finish the course. pertusis is on the rise. and you'd also be preventing your child from being immune to tetanus.

rotavirus- it won't technically harm the child if you don't finish, but your child won't have the immunity and could get the illness. i know several children that had to be hospitalized for rotavirus.

why do you ask? i know there's a lot of controversy surrounding immunizations, but if you started the course it would probably be in your child's best interest to finish. did they have a bad reaction?
Well, I will of course let him finish the DTAP and the immunizations required by my state.  I am finding that some of the vaccines I do not want him to get (i.e. chicken pox) are being mixed into the MMR vaccine.  I did not know what the rotavirus vaccine was for, and with many vaccines (i.e. the flu shot) I disagree with them because I believe the body needs to be able to build up those antibodies on its own. So, I want to keep a better eye  on what he is getting and if one or two had been sneaked in, the opportunity to stop it.  I just wanted to make sure it wouldn't cause more harm than good- I've found its a good thing to ask others than a doctor in addition to their opinion, because they can have their own agenda :S
You just have to ask the doctor whats in each vaccine.  Before the child gets the injection.  They can't lie to you.  If you are given a pat answer such as "Oh, just a standard vaccine", then you say that you want to know exactly what your child is being vaccinated against.

i know what you mean about the chicken pox vaccine. that's the one that dh and i are not sure we want her to get.

as for rotavirus, it is generally given to babies in daycare or in some other way frequently exposed to lots of kids. is you child in daycare or have older siblings?

a lot of parents are opting out  of vaccinating their children because of the stories going around. I agree with the above post, ask your doctor what each vaccines are for then decide afterwards. The flu vaccine is given yearly - not sure what the schedule is for infants and children - because yearly, there are different strains of virus that goes around so the vaccine you probably got the previous year wont be effective on the strain you could be getting this year. hope this helps
And always remember that simple illnesses such as chicken pox and influenza still are a significant cause of morbidity and mortality in infants and very young children.  Your choice if you wish to decline immunization.

And children ill with chicken pox are often vectors in spreading the illness to adults who may susceptible to it.  Chicken pox in adults is often deadly.

Just something else to think about.  Its not only your child who is affected by a simple childhood illness, but others he may come in contact with.  Others may not be as fortunate to escape with a mild illness.
In states with more immigration from other countries and frequent visitors from other countries, especially those who do not routinely vaccinate, it is a good idea to cover your bases. In WA, several times a year the news is issuing warnings regarding measles or other previously unseen illnesses being spread about. Parents like myself rest easy...my kids are vaccinated. But those who have chosen not to are in a panic and it is insane how frantic folks react. I figure I am not only protecting my kids, but those who are medically unable to get the vaccinations.

My children never received the rotavirus vaccination, we didn't need it as they are not in daycare. But if they had been, they would have gotten that one, too. Most vaccinations are available in a single dose form, notify your doctor of your wishes with enough notice for them to order them and have the shots ready for the next scheduled round. Your community health department should also have plenty of vaccinations, both single and combo varieties.
Evan has never had the rota virus vaccine, they never even asked. I wont get it anyways, but Im wondering why they havent given it to him. As for the other shots, we are not getting the Chicken Pox shots, and I am breaking up the MMR shot.
What's up with the chicken pox shot?
this is dated (1996) but provides some interesting pros and cons to chicken pox vaccine.
http://www.drgreene.org/body.cfm?id=21&ref=510&action=detail

luckily, i have some time before i have to make my decision about that one.
http://www.news-medical.net/?id=12896 is an interesting study. (of course this is just one study i found- i wouldn't take it as fact, more as food for thought...)

also dh said he is seeing more and more cases of children who had the vaccine getting shingles as children, where prior to the vaccinations he did not see it.
I have to weigh in on the chicken pox shot.  

I opted out of that for my last two boys - my first son had already had chicken pox.

This is a "nothing" disease in young children.  It's no big deal.  As an adult and then an older adult,  it has really serious complications.

I chose to have all my three kids experience the disease of Chicken Pox as preschoolers,  and that worked out well.  

As the vaccinated kids age,  they are getting chicken pox at a later,  and more dangerous age.

Well, I understand that an adult getting the chicken pox can be bad, but I just think we are over vaccinating our children.  What ever happened to eating healthy and fighting things on your own?  I can be paranoid, but I think that it is bad that we have a medicine for everything, and if there isn't one, they'll make one.  I think a lot of problems in society are all linked together- but as for the rotavirus, no he stays at home with me full time, has no siblings and rarely sees anyone besides my family... so I question why they felt it was necessary for him to have that.  And the chicken pox vaccine- seriously!  I had the chicken pox as a kid and I survived.  I think it is fine for them to have it, they just itch and while I don't want him to be miserable, I don't want him to not be able to have an immune system that can beat things on its own.  Thanks for all the responses, ladies!
I'd be on the fence about the chicken pox vaccine, too if I had to consider it now.  

But I was just pointing out that these are not "nothing" diseases.  Children still can become gravely ill from them.  If they were totally harmless, there would be no reason to ever consider vaccinating.
Yes, the vast majority of children have these illnesses and are fine.  But some don't do well.  That's why the vaccines have been developed.

And I also pointed out that adults who have not had chicken pox can unwittingly be exposed to your child and contract chicken pox.  I have a memory burned in my brain of a patient I had 6 years ago, pregnant, who contracted chicken pox and died in her 3rd trimester.  

All things to consider when deciding what to do about your own child.  
How long does the Chicken Pox vaccine last anyway?  Does it last your whole life, or do you continue to get the shot for years to come?  I need to read that article.
You need boosters, much like Tetanus. My kids got theirs at 12 mos and my oldest got his booster before entering Kindergarten this year. It was never a question for us, both my dh and I had horrific cases of chicken pox as children, much more than a little itching, so if we could lessen that for our kids it was an obvious choice. And regardless of whether you get the vaccination or you get chicken pox, shingles is a possibility. Once the virus has been in your body, it is fair game.

And Bearhitch, I see your point on some things, but for most vaccinations, eating healthy and exercising isn't enough. Measles, Rubella (which can be lethal to an unborn baby), Polio, and the like are very serious illnesses. I am with you on the rotavirus, my doc never even asked because he knows my kids are at home with me and he felt nursing provided just as much help in that area anyway.

Good luck with your decision.

Well, and for those diseases you must to enroll your children in school.  At least in my state, there are some that are not an option and that is fine.  But there are some, like a flu shot, that I really don't see as necessary.  
I have to have flu shots b/c of my asthma (which is mild).  The flu still kills PLENTY of people each year.  Those most at risk of death are very young children, the elderly, and those with underlying health conditions. Perhaps its unecessary in your view.  Its not in mine.  Plus, as a health care provider, I need one.  Wouldn't be much fun to have your nurses and doctors spreading the flu around, would it?  

A few years ago the flu landed me in the hospital for a week.  You'd better believe I never miss a flu shot now.  Its not perfect, but its all we have to protect ourselves.  
I received the Rubella Vaccine as a child, and mine wore off...
When I was pregnant with my first baby it was detected, and I was also informed that many of the vaccines that were given to my "GENERATION" had indeed worn off...so this leaves me with the question, of  whether there has been testing on the MEN to see if it has worn off of them too....we all know that when you get these "childhood" diseases as adults the illness is WAY worse.  
I have Chosen to NOT immunize my dd against the Chickenpox, because where I live it is Optional, and the Chickenpox can be serious, but it is far worse when they are adults.  Especially if this immunization is not life long, which no one knows for sure at this point!  My two ds had the chickenpox, (the vaccine was brand new when they were born, and I knew nothing about it, so I chose against it.)  I am glad that I did, both of my boys got the chickenpox on their own.  
I will re-consider at a later date...probably when my dd is around 10years old.  If she has not contracted chicken pox by then, I will probably choose to immunize.  But by then more studies will have been done, and more information will be available to help make this decision.
Just a note about the flu....it's really bad this year and just last week in Iowa (my state) a three year old DIED from the flu.  Thursday she was fine, Friday she showed a slight fever, by Friday evening she was being airlifted to the University hospital and died on the way.  I debated giving my 6 mo old the vaccine, as she was JUST eligible to get it at 6 months, but I'm glad I did now.  It's SO scary.