Women's Health: Postpartum Community

Symptoms of Blighted Ovum

Hi there...if you have had or know of any symptoms of a blighted ovum, please share them with me if you are able. I am 6 weeks pregnant, had some small amounts of brown spotting last week, and at the ultrasound yesterday the fetus was not seen and sacs were clear but small. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Not sure what to think. Thanks.
sorry for the sypmtoms you have been having. I myslef have not had the symptoms (my doctor initially thought this could be what was going on with me) but from what I understand the main symptom is the brown discharge. The easiest way to diagnose is via u/s which will reveal the yolk sac, but no fetal pole (any sign of a baby) You may want them to do another u/s as Hcg testing may not reveal a problem just yet. I would normally not ever suggest another web site as this has been a really good one thus far, but babycenter has a lot of information about blighted ovum and even has a board devoted to it. You might be able to get some more answers there as there are many women there who have gone through it. Good luck and God Bless ;)

Andrea
hangin in there (trying to be my miracle baby) EDD 2/2/04
Jonathan 12/7/01
my angels: 11/92,1/96,8/00
I agree.  I just talked to my dr, she said my sac looks empty, which is exactly a blighted ovum, and she told me to be prepared to abort this weekend.  Well its not such a good perspective.  Oh by the way she also said that there is a 50-50% chance for a positive outcome, or, and now listen: I might make it till the 20th week and then would have a miscarriage.  Well I did not believe my ears.  But anyway my symptoms are brown discharge and some cramping.  So I would say it depends on the individual.  I will have an u/s again on Monday, but there is no guarantee they will see any more since I am in the 6th week as well. Keep your faith as I do...What else can we do?
I almost forgot: Is it not natural that the sacs are small in the 6th week????
hi there Idlke...just wondering, is your discharge consistent and continuous? I had it just twice on one day about a week ago but never any cramping. The doc thought that 6 weeks is too early to tell on an ultrasound for some people and said not to worry, to have another ultra in 10 days. Maybe you should wait too. Wishing you blessings, and keep me posted. ***@****
Hi.  Sorry to hear what is going on with your pregnancy.  I had a blighted ovum in '00.  I was 7wks and i kept asking all my friends why don't i feel pregnant? I had no symptoms at all! Then around the end of the 6th week I started to have brown discharge with light cramping.  I knew something was up b/c i lost my 1st at 14 wks with a missed abortion(a retained pregnancy that your body does not expell after loss) and had this feeling even though i had no bleeding/cramping with the 1st.  I went to Dr that day and with an tansvaginal u/s my dr identied the blight ovum.  I had a D&C that night.  Did you have a transvaginal U/S and did the DR preform the U/S?  I don't mean just read a U/S picture from the tech!! One sight of hope, you can not be as far along as believed!  I'm not trying to give you false hope just make sure you have confidence in DR and give it time to have another U/S to identify what is going on, if necessary. Keep me posted and wishing you well!
my doctor recently told me that i have a blighted ovum. and adviced me to have a d & c. having had 3 miscarriages before and having reached the age of 30, i am very worried and stressed of what's going to happen.

to my insistence i have decided to seek a second opinion about my condition. i was just wondering, how come i dont feel any pain as my previous miscarriages, no bleeding and no symptoms of an impending miscarriage. the doctor had me go through a pelvic ultrasound, i just got a request from the other doctor for a transvaginal ultrasound. and i was wondering if which test reveals a more accurate result. and wont these ultrasounds have an effect on both our bodies (me and the baby).

thank you very much.
I am 7 weeks 5 days pregnant.  I have 3 instances of light brown discharge this weekend.  No cramping, just went to the bathroom and there is was, the next time I went it was gone.  I still feel pregnant.  I had to stop on the way to work this morning for crackers actually.  My doctor has me scheduled for an U/S on Wed.  I am terrified.  I miscarried about 18 months ago.  Anybody have any input.  I've read all over about the blighted ovum, and it all looks pretty scary.  Are there any good stories out there?
I had my 1st dr. appt today at nearly ten weeks and the dr. couldn't find a heartbeat - he blamed it on the equipment he was using but from everything I've read, the baby's heartbeat should be audible by now.  I'm not due to have an u/s for another 9 weeks and am in a bit of a state about this.  Has anyone ever demanded an earlier u/s than they've been booked for?
hi today is wednesday I found out fri morning I was pg Iwent to the doctor on tuesday and he said my urine test came back neg then he took a blood test I have to wait till thur for results so on the way home I bought 2 pg tests and it came back pos but the lines were very faint and took the other 1 this morning and it was even more faint I have no brown discharge and I dont know what to think or do
I had a u/s at 11 weeks and there was no baby and was told it was  blight ovum.  Becos I had a miscarriage 1 year beforehand I thought this time, I would wait until later on in the pregnancy to have a u/s.  I saw a midwife at 10 weeks and she couldn't find the baby's heart beat but thought maybe it was her equipment.  I told her I had been feeling nauseous nearly every day and had become quite sensitive to smells.  I was experiencing some slight cramping and had a light brownish and pinkish discharge every now and then.  I started to bleed after the u/s at 12 weeks but opted to have a D&C after waking up in agony early hours one morning.  At the hospital, my blood tests said I was still pregnant but the scan showed there was nothing there just the placenta had grown to hold a baby about the size of a 9 week old baby. 6 months later, I am pregnant again and the dr wanted us to have the scan early to make sure that it wasn't another blight ovum.  The u/s said she wasn't sure if there was anything in the sac or not so asked me to come back in another week's time and wanted me to check the hsc levels in my blood were rising as they double each day when there is a baby.  However, this time I don't feel at all nauseas, am not sensitive to any smells, have no cramps or discharge at all.  So hopefully the u/s lady is right and it is too early to tell yet.  Hope these symptoms help.  Will let you know next week.    
I had a D&C done 2 weeks ago.  I had a blighted ovum.  I had all symptoms of of being pregant. I was so HAPPY!  Then the brown discharge started then stopped.  Went for my second ultra sound and thats when things went crazy.  My doctor did tell me that it would not happen again.  Good luck and I hope all turns out well for you.

Queeny
Went for any early ultrasound due to an earlier miscarriage. Now considered "at risk". Dr. saw the sac but nothing there. Did the math and thinks I am still early. Will know for sure next week
confused

I am 11 weeks pregnant and had some brownish discharge 2 days ago with mild cramping.  Went to the ER and they did tests.  Said I am either 7 weeks pregnant and missed calculated or have had a missed misscarriage due to the fact that the u/s could not see a fetus or a heartbeat.  Could it be possible that I am still  pregnant?  I still feel pregnant, breasts are very sore.  I have had no further cramping or brownish discharge and want to know if it was a misscarriage then how come I haven't started bleeding yet?

10/03/07
Has your doctor checked your hormone level?  I am going through the same thing - I am 8 weeks, but my hormone level is consistant with a 5 week pregnancy. Vag-u/s showed no fetus or heartbeat either, although I haven't had any cramping or spotting at all.  Do you have any of your pregnancy symptoms other than sore breasts?  Mine were all normal, but I woke up Monday morning, and all were just gone.  I hope you find some answers, and would be interested to know what happens. Hope all turns out well.
Hi! I just want to share my situation and I would appreciate any opinions or thoughts.....I took 4 home pregnancy tests on Thursday, September 27th, ALL came back positive.  The first day of my last period was July 25th - I had just gotten off the pill after 10 years.  I didn't have a period in August, which I thought was because my body was adjusting to me being off the pill, but when September 6 rolled around and still no period, I took a test just to be safe (I was going out of town for a bachelorette party and wanted to know) and it came back negative.  Over the weekend, I had very light spotting only for 2 days - I thought this was my late period which was very light due to me just getting off the pill.  Well my breasts became very very tender after this and finally on Sep. 27th, something told me to take another test, which turned into 4 positive tests.  SO, this is where I am really confused - I went to the doctor the following Wednesday, October 3rd. He did a physical exam and said that he estimated me to be about 6 weeks.  He suspected that the light spotting I had was implantation bleeding. (however, that would put me about 5 weeks give or take)  He suggested that I get an ultrasound right away - so I am getting the ultrasound and the sac was present with a yolk but no baby.  My doctor came in and said that by the size of my sac that i was closer to 7 weeks along.  Which I realize that he is a doctor, but I cannot imagine being that far along - those numbers do not make sense to me?  So anyway, he asked me to come in 2 days later (last Friday) to check my hormone levels.  Yesterday, I found out they did go up but "not as much as he would like to see" and so I have another ultrasound scheduled for this Friday.  Surely, by then, there will be something??  My doctor wasn't very optimistic with me, he even talked about possibly having to get a D&C.  The ultrasound tech commented that my sac looked good, that it had a good shape and the yolk was very clear.  So do y'all think that maybe my doctor just thinks I am further along than I really am, or do I just have false hope?
Oh- my breasts are extremely tender, I have had no spotting, just some mild cramps, and a little bit of naseau.  This is my first pregnancy.
I am about five weeks pregnant through FET and started bleeding last night. HCG level is 4019 today and was 2258 on monday unsure if i am having a miscarriage and no one can tell me.  Could this be a blighted ovum did have one previously in JUly.
It is possible. Unfortunately  at this point the numbers should be doubling. the only definitive way to know for sure would be an ultrasound. It could just be an issue of the numbers being a little slow to double, they almost did. Try not to stress too much about it. When do you go in again?
just to give you readers a little bit of hope. i am going through the same thing right now. this is my first pregnancy and i decided to do a little research and found out that there is a chance that if you have a retroverted uterus(a tilted uterus) then the baby may not show. which would show no baby during when having a ultra sound done and you would be told you have had a blighted ovum. just pray and good luck.

p.s. ask your doctor if you have a tilted uterus before you start worrying.
just to give you readers a little bit of hope. i am going through the same thing right now. this is my first pregnancy and i decided to do a little research and found out that there is a chance that if you have a retroverted uterus(a tilted uterus) then the baby may not show. which would show no baby  when having a ultra sound done and you would be told you have had a blighted ovum. just pray and good luck.

I am approx 4 to 4.5 weeks prgnant and they did ultrasound on tuesday the tech saw a yolk and sac but no heart  beat , and said it was to early for a heart beat needed to be at least 6 weeks.  My hcg levels are 3500. Dr. says thats high for 4 weeks, does this sound like a blighted ovum to anybody or probably not far enough along.  I had a miscarriage  about 2 months ago.

confused and worried
It is way to early to see a heartbeat. It is extremely frustrating the number of doctors who will order early u/s's when virtually nothing can be seen or ascertained.

I hate to say it, but just be patient. An u/s done after 7 weeks should yield more information.
I had an abortion in December and recently found I was pregnant again a couple weeks ago. I was so excited because I regret the way my last pregnancy ended. I took my prenatal pills everynight, drank lots of fluids, got plenty of rest, ect. However, I went in for an ultrasound Monday at 6 weeks and there was evidence of a pregnancy but no fetus in my uterus. I've had a little spotting but not anything that worried me, so I was devastated when the doctor told me it I willl most likely miscarry. I wont find out until Friday if this is actually the case because I am getting blood drawn throughout the week to check my hormone levels. But I keep asking myself if blighted ovum is the case, could it be the result of a pregnancy too soon after an abortion? What is the liklihood that I will be able to have a healthy pregnancy in the near future?
I am...well was having pregnancy symptoms (nausea, exhaustion, bloating, vomitting, frequent urination) but no cramping, spotting, browning or nothing but my doctor believes that I may be pregnant because in the u/s she believed she'd seen an embryo but its extremely small but my sac is huge (at least to me b/c this is my first pregnancy).