Women's Health: Postpartum Community

TTC after Depo...Very Impatient

It has now been 15 months since my last Depo shot and still no AF. My doc gave me Provera, but I didn't have any withdrawal bleeding after taking the last pill. When I told my doctor this, she said that my lab results showed that my prolactin was high, and so she prescribed something to bring prolactin down. My question is, what does the prolactin have to do with low estrogen? I've read that if you do not bleed in response to Provera, you have low estrogen, and should be given estrogen along with the Provera. My doctor gave me something else instead, so that would make me believe my estrogen level was ok, if that's the case, shouldn't I have bled after Provera? I just don't want to waste my time taking medication I don't need.
I have no idea what prolactin has to do with it. It makes sense to me that you should have bled with the Proactin. I was on Depo for 4 years. It took me 3 years to conceive (I was just getting ready to start infertility treatment when it happened). All the studies say that it should only take 1 year for 50% of women, another 47% within 2 years, and 2% longer than that. The literature I read said that 1% are never able to achieve without fertility treatment. Hang in there though. I had completely given up hope- and I'm 12 weeks along now.

Stacie
http://www.angelfire.com/journal2/CelestialEnigma/
Just came across this site. I am very much against Depo. I have been ttc for 18 months. I have an 8 year old DD and the only thing that is keeping me from #2 is the Depo, I still have side effects. Had I known then, what I know now, I never would have gotten the first shot, much less stayed on it for 6 years. Good Luck. Shannon
Congrats Stacie!!! I hope everything works out well. My doctor had actually prescribed Clomid, but because the Provera didn't work, I never got a chance to take the Clomid. I have to go get my prolactin retested today (7/17/03), so we'll see how that goes. If I knew then, what I know now, I never would have taken Depo in the first place!!!