Women's Health: Postpartum Community

TTC next cycle?

So my OB gave us the go ahead to ttc after this cycle. At that point it will only be 2 months post my Methotrexate treatment for a cornual ectopic. The advice I've read online says to wait 3 months because of the lack of folic acid. Apparently metho depletes your system of it. I just started taking my PNVs again last week. By the time O comes, I will have been taking them for 3 weeks or so.

My question is, how long should you realistically take PNVs before TTC?  I know some women don't even start taking them until they find out they are pg? I don't really want to wait any longer before ttc, but I don't want to have too little folic acid and help contribute to birth defects.
I did not start taking pnv until I got my BFP. But from what I have read and been told it is good to have taken them for one month prior to ttc.  Good Luck
I know many women don't start taking folic acid until after they conceive, but remember that they would have normal levels to begin with.  I don't know how much the metho depletes your folic acid stores, but if they are way below what they would normally be if you hadn't taken it, then you may need the three months to build them up again.  Three weeks probably wouldn't be long enough... what did your doctor say about it?
that's what i thought too.  i wish someone could tell me how the metho affects the folic as opposed to someone who hasn't had it.  my ob told me it should be fine, but i'm a little worried about the lack of folic acid.
i just did a quick search on google and it suggest's waiting three months to build up your folate levels.  did your dr check your levels, because they don't seem to be concerned?  i don't know what to tell you, maybe you should wait 1 more month.  best of luck!
I would wait, I know it is hard, but in the end isn't it worth it to have the reassurance that you did all that was possible to ensure your bean has a good start?  And I would supplement with an extra folic acid supplement.  Your PNV probably as 1mg, I would get a supplement that has 400mcg and take it at a different time of day. You never know how much your body is actually absorbing and it isn't dangerous to take the extra 400mcg.  Also try to eat foods rich in natural folate.  Not only does folic acid decrease the risk of neuro problems but also SIGNIFICANTLY decreases the risk of cleft lip and palate which is the #1 birth defect in the US.  The cleft lip and palate organization recommends at least 1mg but suggests more..........
Good luck in your TTC journey!
I actually just got off the phone w/my family DR.  She put in an order for me to get blood work done to check my folate levels.  I am so excited to get the results!