Taking 200 mg Zoloft while pregnant

I have been taking 200 mg of Zoloft for some time now. I am currently 11 weeks pg with my 3rd child. I told my dr I wask taking the Zoloft when I went in for my 6 wk appt. At 10 weeks, I called for a refill on my zoloft. My OB dr freaked out because of the high dosage of Zoloft I am taking. Another doctor has prescribed this amount when I wasn't expecting. Now my OB is sending me to a high risk OB doctor. I am scared to death. I am going to cut back on my dosage of the Zoloft, but I am concerend about the potential problems the large dose my have already caused my baby. As I menioned above, I am already 11 weeks pg. I need some advice! ANyone taken this amount of Zoloft while pg? Any problems? How should I ween myself down to lower dose?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Zoloft is one of the "safer" SSRI's that can be used while pregnant and is often prescribed to treat depression/anxiety in pregnant women when the benefits outweigh the potential (albeit small) risks.  That being said, like most SSRI's it is best to avoid taking this in the 1st trimester, as that is when fetal defects can occur, however Zoloft is relatively safe in the 2nd and 3rd trimester (although some women wean during the latter stages of pregnancy to prevent withdrawal phenomena).  The risks of fetal defects from taking Zoloft in the 1st trimester are quite low but are a possibility which is why you are going to a high risk OBGYN.  The odds that nothing is wrong with baby are very much in your favor.

Talk to your new OBGYN about your desire to decrease the Zoloft dosage.  You must NEVER decrease the dosage on your own - you will need a carefully constructed tapering regime and will need to be monitored carefully for signs of recurring depression and/or withdrawal symptoms.  Most importantly, NEVER stop taking Zoloft coldturkey - this is very dangerous.  If your OBGYN recommends stopping the SSRI abruptly, seek a 2nd opinion.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Helpful - 0
Anybody else out there take 200 mg of Zoloft while pg??? Would love to hear your story.
Helpful - 0
Hi my name is Gina i take 50 mg of zoloft a day and i am 9 weeks pregnant i have struggled like you about this because one person says one thing and the other another thing im not sure what to believe i also take klonopin but have altmost weened completly off of that..i am also going to see a high risk doctor...dont be scared i feel better seeing them they have more experience with this nd will probily make you feel better i know im looking forward to seeing them mabie they have seen this before good luck to you and i f u ever need to talk im here i understand how worried u are i m to but i have research enough to feel comfortible with my disition to stay on the med.
Helpful - 0
Thanks for the comments! I went and saw the high risk doctor last week. She said the Zoloft if fine right now. She wants to try and ween me down to 50 mg by 3rd trimester. She said that is when it really becomes a risk.
Helpful - 0
Hi Jillean,
I don't know if you will check this message but I was wondering how was your pregnancy. I'm 6 weeks pregnant and taking 200mg sertraline. I'm a bit scared because of the high doses.
Thanks.
Marina
Helpful - 0
Hi I know this is an old post but wondering how the girls on 200mg dose found their pregnancy went and if their babies were ok. I'm 8 weeks pregnant now and have been advised to stay on 200mg but I'm so worried that I'm doing harm to the baby. Don't know what to do.
Helpful - 0
Hi, i know this response is late, but im 8 months pregnant and have been on 200mg of zoloft since before i got pregnant. I was on zoloft with first pregnancy which i was only on 75mg but my pregnancy went well and my son is perfectly fine. Now 6 year's later and on my 2nd pregnancy my dosage is higher i am concerned but so far this pregnancy has been good. Im hoping that this baby comes out fine and ok later as he develops. So just stay positive but if you need to be on your zoloft dont get off of it.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health: Postpartum Community

STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.