Teen first Period

My daughter got her first period last week, she is 15 1/2 years old. Yes she is a late starter but that ok. My question is, is it to early for her to wear tampax. I don't want her to but she had a swiming class saturday and had no chose but to wear one and now she prefer tampax than pads. I would like her to wait at least one year to make sure everything is regular etc.. What do you think??? (sorry if I made mistake my first language is French)
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I think she should be fine wearing tampons. Just make sure she knows how to insert properly for a good fit and that she changes often.
Helpful - 0
Our family doctor started all the girls on tampons when our periods began, and it was great.  Nothing about a tampon changes the way a period flows, all it does is absorb the fluid.  It won't affect how regular everything is or not, and it DOES make a teenager feel much less conspicuous about having a period, so it is psychologically better for her.  She could wear a minipad too in case there is overflow, until she learns how often to change them, or she could just make it a point to change each time she goes to the loo.  Good luck to her.
Helpful - 0
I wore tampons when I first started and I was I think in 4th or 5th grade maybe sooner. I agree with above poster I hate pads they are uncomfortable and you are always worrying if someone can notice. To me its like having a diaper on. The only time I wore them was after giving birth and you feel gross. I say let her wear the tampons.
Helpful - 0
my family wouldnt let me wear tampons when i first started
i think i was like 11 1/2
they said "its for girls who are no longer virgins" LOL
i hate pads and i was always worrying about people being able to see them and
feels nasty period.
but in jr high i was a cheerleader and played almost all sports they were such a pain
i member one day while running track this girls pad fell out!!!!!
how i dont know i felt so bad for her the whole football team and both girls and boys athletics class were out their
so after that i out myself on tampons !
i wasnt about to let something like that happen to me....
but i would just make sure she knows to change them often and if thats what she prefers then i think she should be fine
Helpful - 0
Oh my gosh poor girl. I would say she lived with a bad nickname for awhile.
Helpful - 0
My daughter started her first period the beginning of last month.  She is 13.  Almost all of her friends wear tampons.  She has asked me about wearing them.  I have told her not yet.  I think my reason for not wanting her to is becuase I can't make sure she is doing it properly.  I've never worn a tampon.  I've always used pads.  I've just never been crazy about walking around being PLUGGED all day lol :)
Helpful - 0
When a tampon is in properly, you don't feel it.  If you feel 'plugged,' it is not pushed in quite far enough.  Try it, you'll be surprised!  :)
Helpful - 0
thanks everyone, I think I will let her wear them, I know when I was a kid could not wear them and that was a pain (parent would not allow). I am sure she will be happy to hear that. Sylvie, Quebec Canada
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health: Postpartum Community

STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.