The Dr said there may be chromosone problems

I am 26 years old and this is my 4th child I was 16 weeks along at the time of the ultrasound .I went to the Dr last week to have a ultrasound. To my surprise it was taking a really long time. Then the tech said she had to get the Dr. The Dr. came back into the room and sat down and looked over the pictures. She asked if there was anyone they could call for me then I got really scared. I said no my husband is 3 hours away working. She said we have problems.
The baby has a blockage in its bladder making him/her retain water. Baby has club feet, and she said there may be something wrong with the heart but it is to early to tell and also something with the baby's nose. By this time I was on the verge of a nervous brake down I asked why and she said all these symptoms points to a chromosome problem posssibly trisomy 13 or trisomy 18 or trisomy 21 (down syndrome) she said I would have to have an amnio done so I had one done right then. I asked her what happens if it comes back that it is a chromosome problem she said then you have to make the decision to terminate your pregnancy or not. She said because of the holiday weekend (Labor Day) the results would not be back until tuesday 6 days later I am devistated I am totally against abortion but I do not want my baby to suffer has anyone had this happen please help me.
PLEASE PLEASE
FIND a local help agency!  There are sooooooo  many organizations out there to help you through this
There are so many women who terminate and feel the guilt their whole lives
what would you tell your three children about why you did it
Let nature take its coures - it really isn't fair to the baby to kill it becuase its not perfect
I beg you to find a rachels support group  or call EWTN and ask for a referral
or call your local catholic charities - they can put you in touch with a support group
YOU ARE NOT ALONE!!
i'm sorry to hear you are going through this. I was in a similair place as you last year. My baby was diagnosed with club feet, stomach stopped growing and producing urine.  baby had little to no amniotic fluid.  and was not going to survive. it is a horrible decision to make but the decision is yours.  I didn't want to believe the drs and i waited several weeks to do anything, got second opinions and was told the same thing by all drs. I even made them re run test and do more ultrasounds.  in my case the situation didn't change but getting a second opinion and being totally informed is the best advice i can give you.  You and you family will be in my prayer and you can sened me a note if you would like.  there are moms who have babies on here with DS if that is you diagnosis for sure that i'm sure would be happy to share their experiences with you..... i wish you the best

~d
As a previous Peds ICU nurse, I have seen many babies who have severe chromosomal abnormalities and who are born, stay there their whole lives and die - never having any sort of meaningful life. I am completely against abortion as well. However, having said that, I do not feel I could ever in good faith consciously choose to birth a child I knew would die quickly or suffer.

That's just how I feel.

There are going to be many pro-lifers who tell you to have the baby, but remember that causes increased physical (and severe emotional) demands to your body. Many pro-choice people may even encourage you to have an abortion.

Do not listen to them. DO WHAT IS RIGHT FOR YOU!  Get all the information, talk to others who have had a child with whatever chromosomal problem you may end up getting diagnosed with, talk to a high-risk OB doctor, pediatric intensivist, LOTS of people and information and make a choice YOU feel YOU can live with. It's not up to others and they have no right at all to judge you for what you choose to do.

I'll keep you in my thoughts, this must be very hard for you.
Please think about the baby. I know its hard ,because I was in your shoes( kind of).I have a son with down's and an AV canal Repair( It's an hole in the center of the heart). The doc prepared me for the worry. That night I pray to God and I said let your will be do.Yes  Q still have down's but he's a joy in our family life. look at my photos and you would see him. Q is now going on 13yrs in Nov. and he do everything a normal 13yrs do.I was 19yrs when I had Q
There are many different types of chromosomal abnormalities--some relatively mild, and some lethal.  Many are heralded by a cluster of abnormalities that may be found by ultrasound.  You did the right thing by having the amnio.    

You must first have information on which to base your decision.

Only you can decide what is the right decision for your family, your baby, and yourself, if the news should not be good.  The amnio will tell you the extent of the abnormality, if there is one.  

Once that is known, the doctors and your support systems (family, others)  can help guide you in making the decision that will be best for your family.

You have my hopes and prayers that everything turns out ok.  Many, many hugs.

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health: Postpartum Community