Too Early for Detection??

I had sex on the Thursday before the Monday my period should have started.  Needless to say my period did not come and I am NEVER late.  Everyone trying to blame it on stress; however, my body overacts with stress and causes me to start my period and I usually bleed for two weeks!  I had sex three weeks ago today.  All HPTs have come back negative so I have had two blood tests.  The first said HCG levels were 1.2 and the one I had yesterday was 1.6.  I have all the signs and symptoms of pregnancy and am very concerned.  Could this be way too early to detect the pregnancy if I am pregnant????
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
If you had sex three weeks ago, and the blood tests are 1.2 and 1.6 now, your missed period was not from pregnancy.  "Signs and symptoms" don't prove pregnancy, they can come from an ovarian cyst or something else.  Think of it logically -- if your hCG level was high enough five days after the sex to actually stop your period, it would certainly show up on blood tests now, and would be in the hundreds.  Other things can stop a period besides stress and pregnancy.  If no period comes in the next couple of weeks, see your doctor.
Helpful - 0
It's possible you're SUPER early. They usually say you're NOT PG with anything under 5ml though. I'd say wait 5 days and test again.
Helpful - 0
HPTs can occasionally give an incorrect result, but the blood work is pretty conclusive and it says you are not pregnant. Have you had sex since? If not, I'd say definitely not pregnant.

If you have had sex since the Thursday three weeks ago, there is a slight possibility that you ovulated late and are pregnant but it is too early to tell. In which case, wait at least 14 days from THAT time and test again.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health: Postpartum Community

STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.