Took Brodie to ER

OK - I need some prayers here.  While feeding Brodie yesterday we noticed his mouth turned a light shade of blue.  When we set him back up and patted his back, he regained his color.  He did it once again early this afternoon - well while feeding him at around 8ish tonight, he did it 3 times during that feeding and it took longer to get his color back.  We called our pediatrician and he told us to go ahead and go to the after hours office.  From there, they sent us by ambulance to the ER.  My hubby is still there with him now and we still have no answers except that he gets apnea while eating.  I had to come back home to Braedon as I had my elderly parents over here watching him and didn't want to leave him with them overnight.  

How am I supposed to get any sleep?  And has anybody had any problems with this in the past?  What causes it?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I dont know the answers, but he is definately in my prayers.
Helpful - 0
Update - the preliminary test showed a very faint positive RSV test.  They are doing a spinal tap now.  I feel so horrible.  What did I do wrong and what can I do to help him?  
:(  Very sad!!
Helpful - 0
I will be praying for your little one.
Helpful - 0
I will check back for any new updates!!!!
Helpful - 0
hon, you didn't do anything!! sometimes these things happen. my little cousin was born with RSV and she is now 8 years old. She absolutely fine!! You and your family are in my prayers! Don't beat yourself up about this. It's nothing you did.
Helpful - 0
I have been there - It has been 5 months and 3 episodes and I still do not have a concrete answer just a lot of rule outs.  It is very very scary.  Try to stay calm.  He is in good hands and it may turn out to be a simple reflux.  That is what we are narrowing down my dd's episodes too.  But it takes a lot of tests and visits.  I turned down a spinal tap when they first suggested it then when I finally gave in to do it at the advice of a friend who works at CHOP the doctor actually said it was no longer required due to her status change.  I know that is a very painful procedure but the most accurate.  Good luck and keep us posted I will be praying for you.  PS.  Learn CPR if you dont already know it.  Rescue breaths may be needed when his lips turn blue.  
Helpful - 0
Saying prayers for Brodie. Hopefully they can pinpoint the cause. Have they ruled out everything with his heart?
Helpful - 0
I am prayin' hard for your family!  Know that it wasn't anything you did or didn't do...
Helpful - 0
CYW
when my ds was about 3 weeks old he stopped breathing in his sleep or so I'm assuming...I had the monitor even though his room is a door away..the bathroom is the only thing seperating us but i felt more comfortable with it this way...anywho I heard something in the monitor like normal baby noises but something told me to go check and when i did my ds's face was all red and his lips were purple/bluish and he was grasping for air..i help him up and he regained and began crying...i freaked out and we saw the doctor the next day and he checked him and said ds has some liquid in his lungs but that it was low, which was a good thing and he said it was very common for young babies...i dont remember the name..oh duh bronchitis..he said it's good i brought him in..he is fine now though..but he was put on meds and was to be given everytime he would choke...because after then he would cough and have a difficult time regaining his breathing...

it's scary and i hope he feels better soon..its sad when they're that small..

i agree cpr would be a good thing to know..i think every mom should know it...mind you i would NEVER want to have to perform it on a baby:S
Helpful - 0
my prayers are with you. I am so sorry that this is happening to your family and your little one. I hope everything turns out to be ok and eveything will work out.
Helpful - 0
I'm hoping everything is ok.  

Preemies sometimes have extra challenges, can become sicker more quickly and more severely, and there isn't anything you could have done but take him in exactly as you did.

Keep us informed.  You are in all our prayers.
Helpful - 0
You are in my thoughts.  My younger daughter (preemie) had apnea when she ate for the first few months.  She took a while to learn the whole suck/swallow technique, but eventually grew out of it.  

I'm sure he is in good hands at the hosp, and if it is RSV they will keep a close eye and treat as best they can.  Prayers to you and family.

Helpful - 0
It is not anything you did, sweetie. Sometimes things like this just happen, with no explanation. Hopefully these skilled doctors can make your little one better. He'll definitely be on my mind and in my prayers!
Helpful - 0
Oh, and I just wanted to say... you know what you did do? You caught it EARLY before something bad may have happened. You are so bonded and connected with your baby that you knew when something wasn't right. Do not feel guilty and blame yourself because you may have very well saved your baby's life.
Helpful - 0
Update - they are treating him for RSV (best they can - i.e. breathing treatments and flushing his nasal passages).  They did a spinal tap, ECG and X-Rays - so far all of those have come back normal.  He has an IV in and a urinary catheter as well as being on oxygen.  He was fed about 2 oz today however and took it like a champ.  They will be hopefully moving him from PICU to a normal Pediatric room tomorrow.  

They made us come home and take a nap all day today (which I'm supposed to be doing now) - seeing as he is being monitored closely by doctors and nurses, there's nothing more we can do but get rest.  Once they move him to a normal room, one of us will have to stay with him as he won't be "under lock and key" in the ICU ward.  So with that said - thank you ladies for all your wonderful comments and prayers - I will give you and update soon.

And P.S. - Doug and I learned CPR before they were born knowing they would be early and most likely need it someday.  :)
Helpful - 0
Poor Brody!  RSV is awful; we are doing everything we can to avoid it.  Hopefully you caught it early enough, it sounds like it.  Please keep us updated and know we're praying for him, I'm sure he'll be fine!  Eating is a very good sign!
Helpful - 0
Thank you for the update, now... try and sleep...
Helpful - 0
Kelly I will keep your whole family in my thoughts and prayers!
Helpful - 0
Glad to hear he's getting good care, and you're getting a little rest!
Helpful - 0
I will continue to pray for him!! Evan had RSV and we had no idea! It then turned into Bronchilitis, and he was misearble! I know how hard it is. Hope he gets better soon!!
Helpful - 0
Kelly, I just was able to log on and read about Brodie!! He and your family are in my prayers girl!  Please know you are loved! =)
Helpful - 0
how scary, im glad to hear he is doing better.  what a little brave guy!!! get your rest mom. we are all cheering for you all
Helpful - 0
wishing little Brodie a speedy recovery
Helpful - 0
I'm glad Brodie is starting to do better!  I'm sure you've been scared witless.  Best wishes to you all!
Helpful - 0
2

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health: Postpartum Community

STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.