Women's Health: Postpartum Community

Two missed periods and two negative pregnancy tests

I have always had regular Menstrual cycles right from my periods beginning when I was 11. I really need some advice and any input would be helpful.

I had a period on the 7th November and had sex twice inbetween the 14th and the 21st of November. I then had a bleed on the 25th November that was not like a normal period, it was like I was losing old blood and was a lot lighter and only lasted a few days. I have not had a period since. I did a pregnancy test on New Years eve and it showed 'Negative'.  I then did another test yeaterday and that also showed negative! I have been reading online that some women's tests do not show positive until the are approximately three months pregnant.  I am scared that there is something wrong, I hope you can understand my concern.  My breasts have all these dark purple veins around the nipples, which have never been there up until this last two weeks and they are so sore!  If I go to the doctors they will probably think I am overreacting, I just do not know what to do!

Any ideas as to what I should do or advice as to what it may be?

Try a different brand pregnancy test, maybe an early detection one.  I don't know what else to tell you than that.
Thanks for your comment!  I thought about that, but I am just too scared to do another one!  Why does our bodies do this to us?
It took me 55 days from my last menstrual period to get a positive pregnancy test. Wait a few days from the last time you tested and test again with your first mornings void. Or, just go into the doctor for a blood test. I spent so much on home pregnancy tests, it would have been cheaper if I would have went to the doctor instead...and I would have known I was pregnant sooner too. Good Luck!
I have read this alot about women not getting a positive until they are about two months along.  I rang the NHS direct helpline and the nurse just said 'oh no, the tests are quite accurate'
I am scared to go to the doctors incase they think I am being stupid, also I am terrified that they will confirm my worst fears and conclude that I am not pregnant!  But then again all this speculation is not going to change anything is it?  I guess I am just going to have to sit it out.  
From the dates when I last had sex, I would not have conceived until about the 21st November (I have not had sex since) So I will give it until the end of this month and if I still have not seen AF then I will go to the doctors.
There could be any number of things going on, including, but not limited to, pregnancy.  I don't want to scare you, but I think it would be wise to go to the doctor for some tests.  Personally, I wouldn't want to let something like this go...
Thanks for your concern and advice.  You have now got me thinking and I am going to make an appointment at the doctors tomorrow!  I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks xx
I ended up having a miscarriage. Maybe my hormone levels were not rising normally and that is why it took me so long to get a positive pregnancy test. I don't want to scare you, but I thought I should add this info.
I just posted this question...I never noticed this discussion or I would have posted here. I will now anyways/again.
I went off the pill 3 months ago. Last month my period was a couple days late but this month its 10 days late. I've been feeling like I'm getting my period for 2.5 weeks now (sore lower back) One day though I had an odd pain (quite sharp) in my side, I don't know if it means anything. I'm also getting up to pee at night wich is very unusual. Yesterday I got a negative result from a home-preg. test. (I didn't use the morning urine though) Do you think I should stop wondering.....or try again??

Anyone have any ideas?
Sorry it has taken so long to get a response to your question, but I was not sure what to say.  I would never give up hope because my pregnancy tests are still showing negative and I still have not had my period, so I am still hanging in there with a thread of hope!  Sometimes hope is all we have.  I think you should leave it three days and then test again or you could go to your doctor.  He will not think you are stupid, I am sure he will be able to help ease your concerns a little!  I went to see mine today and he wants me to take a urine sample in tomorrow.  I don't really see the point myself because if I was pregnant then surely it would have shown up by now.  Please let me know how you are.
It is comforting to see that I'm not in an unusual position! I am 28 years old and have always had a regular period. I went off the pill 6 months ago, and still had completely regular periods (26-27 days).  This month I am 10 days late and repeated HPTs show negative. I know it isn't all that late yet and I shouldn't count out being pregnant, but its so hard not to worry about whether something else is wrong. My husband and I really want children, so I get worried that other things might be wrong, although I'm sure it isn't anything to worry about. But you're right, you can't quit hoping and praying. Good luck to all of you.
I am in the same boat too.  My last period was 13th Nov 2003, I dont even feel like I am getting AF.  I tested 3 times negative to preg test including a blood test.  I feel my breasts are definately different, look kinda swollen and every now and then I get a nausea feeling, but other than that I feel great.  My Doc said to just wait until AF appears again which is really hard as we really want to fall pregnant and if there is a problem would like it looked at early rather than later.  I too hold on to a glimmer of hope that maybe I am pregnant.  56 days late and fingers crossed.
HI, I am thinking about you (really I am) and know exactly how you feel!  My last period was November 7th, but still pregnancy tests are showing up negative!!!  I just keep thinking that my body is being cruel to me and AF is going to rear her ugly head at any moment!  I have never missed a period before in my life, grrrrrrrrrrr.  I really hope it turns out that you are expecting, please let me know.
Thanks for your thoughts.   Before I found this site I thought I was the only one on the planet in my situation.. It's nice to share  similar experiences with each other who all are goiing through the same thing.  I totally thought there was something wrong with me to skip my period, I still hope.  Do you know if you skip a period, should you expect it the same date 2 months later or would it throw your whole cycle out?  If it is the same date I will be due next Tuesday so if I dont get AF by the end of the week I will do another preg test.  Lets hope we are all blessed with "buns in the oven".
Nope you are not alone!  There seems to be loads of confused ladies out there, who never know whether they are coming or going as far as pregnancy is concerned!  I had no idea that other people were in the same situation myself until I found this forum either.
You have got me thinking whether menstrual cycles once disrupted will start on the date they were 'supposed' to start or just basically please themselves and arrive unexpectedly.  I was thinking that even though I missed one, my next one would arrive when it was due.  But that theory has been blown out the window because I was due on the 4th January!!!  Aaaaargh, it's so frustrating isn't it?  But then again, maybe each woman is different, so if you are going to get your period then it 'may' arrive next Thursday as if nothing happened!  I really hope for you that it does not appear, I keep praying every night that mine holds off too!  At the end of the day as long as we still have hope, then we have something to hold onto!  Not much consolation I know, but its what I try to keep telling myself.  I don't know about you, but I keep sitting and staring into space, mulling it over and over in my head and I just end up feeling worse!  I am making myself so tired and have not done anything for days, all I want to do is sleep.  Do you feel like that or is it just me?
I hope you do not think I am being nosey or anything here and if you do then just tell me to shut up!!  How are you feeling in yourself?  Have you noticed anything different?  The only three things I have noticed are:  I keep getting really mild cramps in my stomach, I am sooooo tired (but that could just be an over active imagination) and my aerolas have gone a dark orange with tiny purple veins surrounding, making my breasts look purple.
Anyway, enough of my rambling, but I just needed to vent a little bit.  I hope you don't mind!
Please keep in touch and I hope AF stays away!
thank you for your thoughts.  Well still no AF and due tomorrow.  Not even feeling like AF will arrive. NO you are not being too nosy the more we can share with each other the better, makes me feel like I am not alone. I m not sure how I feel, I know when I was only 3 weeks late I was soooo excited, my hubby was over the moon as well, I was absolutely sure I was pregnant but 3 tests later it proved otherwise.  I am now 60 days late and something deep inside still thinks maybe I am, my breasts are not tender at all though, but I have a clear ovulation type discharge all the time which started at about the time of my missed period which is not normal for me.  That is the only symptom though. My belly also feels kinda bloated all the time, very hard to suck in my stomach muscles.  I dont know what do you think?  I had my GP do a blood test 3 weeks after my missed period. maybe it was too early, although I thought a blood test was 100% accurate.  In a way I wish AF would arrive so at least we can plan the next BD for ovulation, because at the moment no period, no ovulation and another month wasted at TTC.  I guess I am very frustrated, I have another preg test in the cupboard but keep putting it off as I dont want to be dissappointed again.  I will have to take it sooner or later I know, I will give it another week seeing I am due for AF this week.  How long have you been TTC?  I never thought it would take so long to fall pregnant did you?  Dont know about you but I work full time so it is easier being at work not thinking about it, I guess I am just hoping that one day I will take the test and it will be positive.  Anyway enough venting from me.  Heres hoping and preying for buns in the oven.
x
I am sorry, I got the day wrong when you said AF was due.  I thought it was Thursday!!  I just can't understand why periods just stop like that.  I was talking to my doctor the other day and he said that he was baffled because usually when your periods go out of sync, they start by being irregualar, heavy, being on every two weeks ect and not just stopping.    I have had none of this, they have just stopped!  If I could blame it on stress then I would probably feel better, but I can't because I am not under any!  I am sure you feel the same way, if only we could see inside our bodies, it would make it so much easier!!
I have been trying to conceive for about a year now, without success :-(  Why does it take so long to get that sperm to fertilise that egg?  I feel so useless because most of my friends from school got pregnant straight away, so why can't I?
Just because you do not have a period does that mean you are not ovulating at all?  I know it sounds like a bit of a stupid question, but I am really not all that knowing about the way the female body works.  The reason I bring this up is because I read somewhere online that a woman became pregnant and was confused because she had not had a period in a while.  I am sure the doctor she wrote to replied and said something like:  Just because you do not have a period doesn't mean you can't get pregnant.  So if I were you, I would keep trying!  But whose to say that you are not pregnant already??
I believe that blood tests are supposed to be 100% accurate, but whats to say that anything is full proof?  When my mum was pregnant with me, no tests would show positive until she was three months.  I have no more pregnancy tests in the house now because I would be doing them everyday and it gets expensive!  Why don't you do the pregnancy test that you have in the cupboard if you don't come on in a couple of days?  You have nothing to lose right?  Who knows, maybe you will get a +! *fingers crossed*
Reading the symptoms that you say you are experiencing, I would not worry about having only a few.  Isn't a bloated belly supposed to be a sign?  Just remember that some women sail through pregnancy with no symptoms at all.  So just because you don't think you have no symptoms does not mean that you are not pregnant.  My boobs are really sore today, but that maybe because AF is on her way?  Lets hope that we both stay AF free and have big bellies in no time!
Keep in touch, Claire xx
Well hello again!  D day today, and still no AF!  I think I am relieved not sure.  I am interested to know that you read you may still become pregnant with no period, put a a smile on my face :)  Maybe tonight will be the night.  I too have watched many friends become pregnant and have healthy beautiful babies, it is really frustrating isnt it, sometimes I want nothing to do or hear about their children (pathetic isnt it), I just think yep another year without babies.  Since you have been trying for a year have you sought fertiltiy advice yet as to why you havent fallen pregnant?  Here in Australia we have to wait 1 year before a GP will investigate into infertiltiy ( I have 3 months to go)  aarrgghhh!  I have been on the pill for about 9 years and my GP said sometimes it can take 12 months for it to be out of your system!  I stopped taking the pill in May 03 so on that logic I still have a while to go. I will do a preg test this Friday so start preying for me!!  I think after that if it is negative again I will revisit my GP for some investigation as to where AF has gone :(  How long have you missed AF for now?  Do you have any preg symptoms at all?  Weird isnt it?  well heres to a glass of red wine while I can still enjoy it.

bec x
Hey Suisha, its so nice to hear from you!  I am not sure whether it is a good thing or a bad thing for us both to be missing AF.  I mean if we are pregnant then thats ok, but if we aren't that means that are bodies are toying with us!  I am going to take another test at the end of this month, depending on AF that is!
I have not consulted a doctor about trying to conceive because my partner has been working away a great deal and we have not always been trying at the right times. We had a few months apart when his job caused him to move away from me for a while, I can't help feeling that maybe if he had stayed I would have been pregnant by now! Still it doesn't do to dwell on the past, best to live in the here and now.  If I haven't conceioved by the end of next year then I guess I will have to go and have some tests.
My last period was the 7th of November 2003, its highly unususal for me to miss.  Since my periods commencing I have always been regular - every 28 days.  I just do not have an explanation for it.  How long have you been missing AF for?  I am confused about the symptoms I am having because I never know if it just means AF is just around the corner! I have been experiencing:  Nausea (gets so bad at times that I am actually gagging), very tired, swollen and painful boobs, my aerolas have changed colour and I have purple veins surrounding them and I also get mild cramps.  These cramps are not like period pains, but like a dull ache accomapnied by a dragging sensation.
The mysteries of the human body!  Please let me know that you are ok and let me know how the pregnancy tets goes!
Claire xxx
Well it is certainly strange that you seem to have all pregnancy symptoms but still getting a negative result.  It is true that the mind can play awful tricks on us at times, sometimes when we think so hard about things that we want our bodies can be tricked into triggering off different symptoms we turn out to be all mind related.  I am not saying your symptoms are mind related but I know in the past I have wished so hard that I was pregnant I physically made myself sick. I dont have any real symptoms accept for the CM which I never have and oh the fact that I have failed to have AF for 2 motnhs.  No sore boobs etc and only mild nausea every now and then.  Well AF reared her head yesterday for about 2 hours!!  Not usual, very strange, brownish, very very light and no need for any protection.  Then like that is has GONE!  Now my mind boggles!! Any clues?  I am now thinking I could have conceived in December, I will do a test at the end of the week (too scared).  This is the first sign of AF since 13th Nov and it is so not normal.  Now I do wonder if there is a problem with me.  arrrgghhh!!!!
still hoping.........
x
The thing that is bugging me the most is the fact that I never in a million years expected to miss a period and even then it still didn't register that I could be pregnant.  I am even more confused now because when I put the trousers on today that I had on two weeks ago, they didn't fit me round my belly!!  I mean surely I cannot make my belly bloat right?  I have done another water test today and it is still negative :-( So I have decided that I am going to the doctors tomorrow and I am asking for either a scan or a blood test because I am thinking that something is wrong.  I did not bother taking the water sample into the doctors last week because frankly I cannot see the point.  When I asked my doctor what the difference between home pregnancy tests and doctors were his answer was none.  When I go tomorrow I am asking to see a woman GP, I believe or should I say hope that a woman will understand my worries better than a man.
The bleeding you described does not sound at all like a period, so I do not think you have had AF - unless it has come back heavier???  Maybe you have conceived later than you thought and it is implantation bleeding, but I guess we will not know for sure until a couple of weeks.  Have you visited your doctor and told him that you have not had a period in two months?  I don't want you to think I am lecturing you, but maybe you should, just to see what he says?  I understand how you are feeling right now, because I am exactly the same.  I am absolutely dreading going to the doctors tomorrow because I feel daft saying 'Pregnancy tests are negative, but I still think I could be pregnant and that there is a problem' I mean what the hell is she going to think of me????
Please keep in touch and wish me luck!!!
Claire xxx
I just want to know if anybody had the same experience as me; I am 14 days late; 2 pregnancy tests and both negative results.I don't feel pregnant but maybe is too soon; and I cannot remember how I felt in the others pregnancies in the early fase.I have only 1 child;the other pregnancy ended with a miscarriage at 6 weeks.(4 months ago)I went to house doctor and he didn't want to do the blood test or send me to an echo; he said is no use if the tests were negative.I never took anticonceptional pils and I was never more than 4 days late.
Anybody an advice? or similar ?
Thank you,
Well ladies I went to the doctors today and she laughed in my face!  She said there was no way that I was pregnant if my tests were negative and is not even concerned that I am leaking substantial amounts of urine.  I give up!  So Catarina I do know how you feel and in a word doctors SUCK.
I know there is something wrong because my body is acting strangely, so if it isn't pregnancy then something else is causing the symptoms, but why doesn't my doctor want to find out?
I am two months late on my period and pregnancy urine tests are still negative!  I am surprised at the attitude of your doctor not wanting to investigate the absense of your period or even suggesting that he perform a blood test to check for pregnancy.  I went to see my doctor last week, I waited until I had missed two periods.  He requested a urine sample from me, but I did not take it in as I have been doing home tests and they are still negative :-( Going by my other symptoms and thickening waistline I am now getting suspicious, so I am going to see a lady doctor this morning to request further investigations.
If I were in your position and was only 14 days late for my period then I would definitely wait a while longer.  Perhaps give it another two weeks and then try another test?  I know the waiting is hard because I am still doing it, but I think if you leave a longer space of time and still do not get your period, then when you visit your doctor you have better reason to suspect you are pregnantand will be able to stand your ground.  Of course this all depends on the fact whether you are usually regular or are not able to tell when your next period is going to arrive.  
I hope I have helped you a little, I know how confusing our bodies are.