Women's Health: Postpartum Community

VERY worried......need advice !!!!!!!!!

I have been becoming very worried about a problem that I have been having and I am almost 19 weeks pregnant. Almost a month ago I was having some pain in my back and lower abdomen, I was told that I had a uti but probabley only a slight one. There was no urine culture done but a dip stick was and I was put on amoxicilin which did not cure the uti.
After taking the amox. I began having pain in my urethra that I was not having before taking amox....not just after or while urinating but a constant pain, not terrible but definately uncomfortable, sometimes I don't have it and sometimes I do. The ob did another urine and the dip stick came back showing blood but no white blood cells (infection) but they sent the culture out and sure enough the uti was still there so they put me on cepholexin (spelling?) because the infection showed to be sensitive to it. Pain did not stop after 5 days on meds so I was put in the hospital for one day and given antibiotic through i.v.
They did another culture and it showed no infection, they checked my kidneys through ultra sound and found nothing wrong but I was still having the pain in my urethra and blood in urine.
It has been about a week and I still have the pain in the urethra and now some preoblems urinating and at the docs. office yesterday they did a dip test and there was still blood in urine so they sent out a culture.....I find out monday.
Has anyone ever had or heard of having pain and blood in urethra for no reason or after taking drugs with penicilin in it? I am really worried...thank you....please help
"cilin" drugs are ok to use during your pregnancy. Bactrum, Cipro, these are the ones you need to stay away from. I had a UTI early on in my pg, and had worries about taking ANY antibiotics. I talked to many drs, urgent care dr, my family physician, and my obgyn, all said anything with "cilin" in it is alright. Hope that makes you feel alittle better. But as for the bleeding and pain...unfortunately I am no help there. Cranberry juice, and asparagus are supossed to be great for the urinary tract. I know it works for me. I get UTI's all the time.
HI Guys,
Sorry to interrupt this thread but their are none left and the title kind of fit.....
I had my doctor appt yesterday in my "expectant management" while I wait to m/c and my hCG on Monday was still 30,000 (down from 45,000 , 2 weeks ago).  So it is going down slowly.  The u/s showed the sac is decomposing but slowly and it still high in my uterus.  So it hasn't started descending.  The doc said based on this she would guess it will be 4 more weeks.  Then she started to scare me about infection and septicemia and emergency D&Cs.  Has anyone had a similar situation and it didn't take 4 weeks for it to happen naturally?  Based on this would you suggest a D&C?  I haven't had any cramping.  I have had brown spotting when I wipe for 2 weeks and last night was the first time it was red and more than only when I wipe.  
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks!!
If youre starting to bleed, this is a good sign bc it means your body is taking care of things itself. How you want to handle the situation is up to you. I found out I had a m/c by wiping. There was blood. Two days later, my body expelled the baby by itself. You may want to try to wait a few days or a week to see how things go. If you dont feel like it is moving along, then you may want to opt for the d/c. It is a very emotional time though. It is mostly about what you are comfortable doing.
this isn't relevant to the question posted here, and I do appologize. I was just wondering what your question was this morning. I saw you had one from the other post.
I gave my body 4 weeks to m/c naturally. Nothing happened... Although on the morning of the D&C i started spotting brown, and 2 days following the D&C, I experienced very painful contractions (My Doctor told me this was my body's attempt to rid any leftover products - Although i often think that it was my body finally deciding to m/c). As long as you feel well - your doctor is aware of any changes, you check your temperature to monitor for a fever, and you don't start to bleed HEAVY - you could give yourself some more time at home. I had decided 4 weeks was my cut off - Emotionally I needed closure and I knew it was imminent regardless.
Sorry to hear of your loss
I prolonged the dnc with my last pg for over 3 weeks. It was agonizing. I finally opted for the D&C which for me was a lot better than waiting any longer for a natural m/c.  My ob told me the same thing with all the risks involved if you wait too long. I had peristant spotting that turned to bright red bleeding with cramping during those weeks.

I am sorry you have to go thru this. Some women's bodies just take a little bit longer to realize you're not pg anymore. It's hard all the same.
I was wondering if cd1 was the first day of AF or the first day after AF
It's the first day of AF.
I would definately have the d&c. I am 17 1/2 wks pregnant now and have an old 7 1/2 week old sac ( dead pregnancy) that is stuck in my cervix. I got pregnant for the second time without miscarrying the first pregnancy. Seems very odd, which it is,but was a huge cause for concern.
That is really rude to cut off someone elses thread. I was very concerned about the problems that I was having and now have no advice to read from other women because you have completely changed the topic of this thread.......next time have some respect for others questions and if any of you have any advice for the orginal comment posted on this thread, please, advice would be wonderful.
I agree!
I am very sorry that it made you angry.  It is pretty typical for others to post on previous threads b/c there is a limit to open threads.  In order to read my post they still had to read yours so advice could still be given.  This forum is for support and that is all that I was requesting as I go through this difficult time.  
As my hormones are crashing I am constantly in tears and this set them off again, so other than sorry I have nothing more to say as I try to compose myself to get back to work.
Sorry again
haney,
Unfortunately, you will have to go back to your doctor for specific advice on this.  Some infections are resistant to certain antibiotics.  All you can do at home is to increase fluids and take your meds as ordered.  If the problem is not clearing up, the thing to do is to go back to the doc as many times as you need to in order to find out what's wrong.  You could have a kidney stone that might be causing the blood and the pain, too.  Your doctor is your best guide to solving the problem.
As to the thread cutting issue, I'm sure that the woman who cut you off to ask a question about LOSING HER BABY was just as, if not more concerned, than you and had no other way in which to ask her question.  It happens from time to time here, what with limited space and all.  If you don't get a lot of answers when you ask a question, it usually means that no one really has answers for you.  If someone is full of burning knowledge about YOUR question, they'll be able to answer you even if someone cuts in and changes the subject.
Wow, talk about rude, we get a very limited number of threads a day, yet you, haney, used TWO for the same question, thus preventing someone else from asking a question themselves. In a forum limited to a half dozen new topics a day, that was much more rude than posting a question in an existing thread.

As the previous poster mentioned, no one lost sight of your question, it is just that we are not doctors, these are issues that need ot be resolved medically, not through conversation. I was recently dx with possible kidney stones, no s/s of an infection, but definite s/s of a kidney stone. It may be too small to see via u/s, there is also a commonly discovered problem during pregnancy dealing with compression of the ureters. But again, these are all things that your doctor needs to be looking at.

I am so sorry to the person seeking help for their loss. I am stunned that someone would be so territorial and rude over the borrowing of their thread. It would be one thing if it was done for idle chat about cm or the price of tea in china, but this was a legitimate question in need of support and advice.

Given the length of time, I would suggest pursuing the d&c. The risk of infeciton is incredibly high the longer the products of conception remain in your body. Spotting doesn't mean things will progress quickly. With my 3rd and 4th losses, I spotted for weeks before a m/c dx was ever made. With my 3rd I had a d&c scheduled and ended up bleeding profusely the night before the surgery due to previously undiagnosed anemia. With my 4th loss, I started spotting the first week of June 2003 and finally m/c'd the last week of June/early July. Waiting is a huge gamble and could seroiusly impact your future fertility. I am not a big fan of D&C's, but they are a necessity when medically indicated as this one is. Please consider this option, you have suffered long enough without worrying about when it will finally be over. I hope that in time you are able to find the comfort and solace needed to help you through.

Andi
everyone needs to relax!..post your question and get your answer
she did take a thread, but she also had a problem also!
Why does everyone have to complain!..
haney,
it has been almost a week, so I am not sure if you will come back to this thread, but...  I may have something similar.  i started having pain/pressure in my "nether regions" at 7 weeks.  I still ahve it, but it seems to get worse.  Everything always checks out fine, and I am at 26 weeks.  Before about 6 weeks ago, the pain/pressure felt like everything was going to "fall out".  But about 6 weeks ago I started having problems urinating.  Sometimes I can hardly go.  It hurts so bad, but like you said, it is not all the time.  I have been tested for infection, but always negative.  My doctor said I am just one of those lucky ones to be REALLY sensitive to all the extra blood flow.  One thing that does help me is to drink lots.  If my bladder is really full, it is easier to go.  I have noticed the days I feel the best are the days I have plenty of water.  Hope this helps!
To all,

In response to Haney's question, I have been diagnosed with severe hydronephrosis in my right kidney and moderate to severe in my left.  I passed a kidney stone 3 weeks ago and have had bad pain on and off since.  I definitely suggest to keep on your DR like I did to get to the bottom of your problem.  I was blown off by my OB a couple of times and I think that is why it got so bad without me knowing.  My Urologist is praying for this baby to come soon (I am 35 weeks), so he can treat the kidney blockage, but it causes severe pain on and off, so keep this in mind.  

I am so sorry to the other woman going through her loss of a baby.  I lost one last summer (05) and it was so devistating.  I feel for you and try to keep your chin up for a happy healthy baby next try.  I have heard good and bad about a D&C, but all ladies I know that have had one have gone on to have very healthy beautiful babies on their next try.  Good luck!
To all,