Vicodin During Pregnancy

I am trying to conceive, at the age of 30. This is my first attempt to have a child. I have been taking Vicodin for the last 9years. Due to a torn ligament from my hip to my spine and the two last disc have no fluid. I know the weight of a pregnancy will also cause a lot of pain. My main question is, has there been any further studies or findings of the effect of vidcodin on a fetus and after the birth...any defects? I am really concerned about this, as I should be.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
If you have been on it for 9 years, your dose must be pretty high in order to still be effective.  Definitely talk to the doctor.  Good luck!
Helpful - 0
I don't know about in early pregnancy, but I was prescribed vicodin in my last trimester because of 2 herniated discs.  My perinatologist told me to take 1 to 2 every 4 hours as needed (I'm not sure of the mg) and that it was safe and anti inflammatories weren't.  Talk to your Dr. because you need to have a plan and your Dr. is the only one who can weigh the risks and benefits and decide with you how to proceed.  Good luck.
Helpful - 0
This is definately something to discuss with your doctor before conceiving.  While it is better not to have to take medications during pregnancy, there are of course conditions that require it.  Your doctor may have you take different meds to manage the pain, or else monitor you and your baby very closely while taking the vicodin.  Really, the only person who can help you figure this out is your doctor.

Also, sometimes women find that during pregnancy, their pain actually gets better.  It just depends on how your body reacts to pregnancy.  Good luck!
Helpful - 0
I wanted to add that since vicodin is a narcotic the baby would be born addicted.
Helpful - 0
That is really something you need to discuss with your OB BEFORE you conceive. There are a lot of different factors, how many do you take? How many milligrams? Do the benefits outweigh the risks? As far as I know vicodin is not safe to take during pregnancy in any dosage but again, you need to talk to your doctor asap.
Helpful - 0
im not sure of the answer to that one. but u could call ur OB and ask them. they would know. good luck with ttc! keep us updated!
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health: Postpartum Community

STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.